It's Memorial Day

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

It's Memorial Day

Post by Niner » Mon May 25, 2020 2:09 pm

The beaches are crowded....Coronavirus or not. A few people have already drowned down at the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama. Nobody is likely to be paying much attention to social distancing down at a beach that probably looks like a close second to New York's Times Square on New Years eve. Give it a couple of weeks and the virus numbers will go upward a bit in various nearby states and communities I'd guess.

On facebook yesterday I had mentioned on the 2nd of the 4th arty page two guys I knew who were killed serving in FO teams in Cambodia while with the same infantry battalion as myself. They died 50 years ago this month. The really unfortunate part is that they are only names on a Wall now days. Few people , other than any family they have left, still have a clear memory of them as they lived. The saddest thing about their deaths though was that they died young and never had a wife or a family they watched grow up or grandchildren or careers. They missed the life that those of us who lived after them were able to have. They lost the chance to have a life by answering the call to arms and paying the price exacted by our political leaders.

Now days we think of the Greatest Generation. They fought in the just war. They saved the world from the Nazi evil. The ones that died were heroes who died for their country. The ones who have died in military actions since seem to have died for no reason at all other than the US wanting to order the world to its own liking with no connection to protecting and defending the US. This should, to my mind, make them the greatest heroes of all, if the public had a conscience. Instead they mouth "Thank you for your service" all these years later. Unfortunately, they do not hold government accountable for the deaths they likely will continue to cause in world ordering wars.