There is Memorial Day and then there are memorials

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

There is Memorial Day and then there are memorials

Post by Niner » Tue May 26, 2020 10:09 am

Going through some photos by different SLR cameras and found this one taken at Confederate Rest in Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile Ala.

I posted about Confederate Rest and showed some of my photos from one of my photo excursions on a facebook Mobile Nostalgia page and the reactions were divergent to say the least. One young black man felt highly offended over my even mentioning the place. All I could say was that was then and this is now and you can't judge people from 150 years ago by today's standards but only by the time in which they lived. It was also about people shortly after the Civil War and their reaction to the great catastrophe that it actually was and their rationalization of their honored dead . He didn't get it ....of course.

Minolta 7000i
Attachments
img233.jpg
img244.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: There is Memorial Day and then there are memorials

Post by Niner » Tue May 26, 2020 10:17 am

The half statue mentioned.
Attachments
img234.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Are you a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans? During my sister's geneaology research, she found that
members of my family are qualified to join several such organizations. My Great-Grandfathers fought on both sides
in the Civil War and ancestors also fought in Revolutionary War. So there are several that I could join, but never have.
I wonder if the "Stars and Bars" flag is still flying at the cemetery? Or are the snowflakes too offended..... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm not of the Sons of Confederate Veterans club joiner sort. My great grandfather on my father's side was a Confederate soldier however, and he belonged to several commemorative organizations after the Civil war. On my mothers side, her father's father was probably in Ireland during the Civil War.

The stars and bars still waves over Confederate Rest. Guess no protest organization either noticed or thought it worth the argument. Notice in the photo the Alabama state flag flies above it. on the flag pole.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 pm

My Mom's side was still in Canada. But on my Dad's side, his mother's father fought in a South Carolina
Regiment, and his father's father fought in a Iowa Regiment. My sister looked up both war records and it seems
they were never in the same battles. But it still could have made for interesting family reunions or weddings..... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed May 27, 2020 8:02 pm

A friend of mine, the late Mr Justice 'Roddy' Maher was descended from "Maher of the Sword", Brigadier General Maher of the US Army in the war between the States and leader of the Irish brigade; the Judge was also descended from that great British Parliamentarian Pitt the Younger.

Clash of genes?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.