With the latest civil unrest over race

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

With the latest civil unrest over race

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:52 am

Now , with all the civil unrest, Confederate statues are coming down all over. One in Mobile of Admiral Semmes that had been standing for well over a hundred years was removed even before anybody demanded it. However, there is a new notion in the breeze. Those old civil war generals for whom US Army bases are named are next. No more Ft. Benning, former home of the infantry, No more Ft. Bragg, named after a Civil War general that was really pretty incompetent, Ft. Lee, etc. It offends Afro Americans of the present generation. This seems to denigrate all of the black soldiers who trained at those military bases for every war entered into by the US coming down through the 20th Century to today. However, I can see how it might rankle the new generation of woke people.

I'd suggest that if the Army removes those old Civil War general names they should be replaced by well linked Presidents who sent US soldiers to undeclared wars in the last fifty or sixty years. Johnson, Nixon, Bush and Bush Junior with a W, on down to Obama and Trump. It would be more reflective of actual US history and should give new generations of sensitive and enlightened youth the satisfaction of truth in labeling.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/politics ... oXX8efRVPY
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: With the latest civil unrest over race

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:23 pm

It seems to me that these snowflakes are forgetting that history cannot be changed just because they don't like it. As to the 'Black Lives Matter' movement, they would do well to remember that the original source of the black slaves were Arabs and Africans who took slaves in internal conflicts and sold them to the Europeans.
Move on down the ages and consider that IF this had not happened the current generation of Black Americans would still be living in mud huts in Africa instead of looting stores in the US.

In the UK, people like Cecil Rhodes would not have bequeathed the money to set up colleges and universities where the modern day student population from around the world can study.

The whole thing makes me want to miss the news more and more!!!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:40 pm

I think this explains a lot of what's going on....... :roll:

151.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:59 am

Very true Vern!
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:05 am

I'll second that statement. Very true. However, it often seems to me that the people that most want to hear their statements coming out of someone else's mouth are like that because down deep inside they are actually doubtful of the validity of whatever it is they are saying.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm

Trump has come out in defense of all base names, Confed or not. It's not unexpected. Wonder how Biden feels about it? Probably since he needs every black vote in the US come the election he will be in favor of finding some new names to replace the old Confederates. I got a feeling Benning might be named George Floyd if Biden could name it now and he saw any percentage in it for himself.

I really...personally... can see both sides of it. Call it as they will, Benning will always be Benning to me. And...it's not because I have any love for the place. I don't.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 am

Well, in the UK it has just got stupid. People are demanding that statues of Queen Victoria, Robert Baden-Powell, Winston Churchill and others be removed as well as street names.

One good thing to come out of the recent desecration of the Cenotaph in London is a new organisation
https://www.facebook.com/groups/188122919181191/ Veterans Memorial Protection.
At last some pride being shown by people who remember. :GBR: :GBR: :GBR: :GBR: :GBR: :GBR: :GBR:
Duncan

Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:28 am

Many towns and cities in the South had to build new public buildings after 1865 and they built them defiantly facing South.

I wonder when the "Rethinkers of History" will want them moved to face one of the other compass points?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:23 am

Historical carpetbaggers Eoin!! :shock:

Just waiting for some Good ol boys and KKK to get organized :mrgreen: :rebel: :rebel:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:55 am

There are such "good ol boys". It's the "boogaloo bois". A bunch of right wing nuts looking to start the second Civil War. They aren't all anti black or geographically southern. Some are neo nazi and some are something else. But they all are armed to the teeth and like to walk around in public on just about any occasion of protest showing off their weapons. It's a lot like the old civilian militias that were playing Rambo back some years ago that used to surface on gun sites....only these wing nuts might actually do something. They are apparently a lot more organizationally real than the left wing anti fascist group that Trump trumpets as troublemakers called Antifa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_ ... oogaloo%22.