WWII photos never seen.....

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

WWII photos never seen.....

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 pm

I'll try to give you the Reader's Digest version of this.....
A good friend of my parents was in Army Air Forces in WWII. He was a SGT that repaired the instruments
on B-17s, not part of an air crew. He was an amateur photographer and took photos of where he was stationed
in North Africa and Italy. Him and wife never had kids so in a roundabout way, I ended up with his photos, given to
me by his wife's sister. Anyway, these are his personal photos that haven't ever been shared before. The thing to remember
is back then, the photos were small and I have done my best to enlarge them.
At some point they obviously shared a base with the British, there are Mosquitos and Halifax bombers.
Trashed B-17s, probably spare parts dept.
A B-17 probably hit by flak, should have never made it back. Doubt if waist gunners survived. Although the more I look
at this photo...... all the control cables run through the ceiling of a B-17. Unless center section buckled during landing.... guess
we'll never know the whole story.
And Allied Military Currency, issued to him in Italy. After WWII they changed the name to Military Payment Certificate and
used them to the end of Viet Nam to pay troops overseas

Will post a few more later.

CCF_0007.jpg
CCF_0006.jpg
CCF_0002.jpg
CCF.jpg
CCF_0001.jpg
CCF_0004.jpg
CCF_0005.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Re: WWII photos never seen.....

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks for sharing Vern, great photos.