ANZAC DAY

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

ANZAC DAY

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:47 am

:AUS: :NZ:
Attachments
download.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: ANZAC DAY

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:26 am

I was playing an Xbox one game the other day, Battlefield One. A segment is based on Anzac and the heroic stuff an imaginary Australian commando character has to go through to kill lots and lots of Turks to achieve one goal or the other. Among the weapons are Turk Mauser rifles, which many of us have one or two or more of, and the Australians using the Lithgow Enfield rifles, among other things, which a few of us have. I think my Lithgow may be of WWII vintage though.

I found a page that is interesting. A short quote:
In 1914, the AIF equipped soldiers with rifles from the Citizen Forces until local production of Lee-Enfield rifles increased at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory.

Soldiers who received weapons training as cadets had probably practised shooting with the .310 Martini Cadet single-shot rifle. (For many years after the war, farmhouses throughout Australia had one of these .310 rifles for pest animal control.)

Soldiers in the Infantry and Light Horse brigades were issued with a short magazine Lee-Enfield Mark III rifle. This rifle had been used across the British Army since 1910. (Many Commonwealth forces continued to use it in different variations up until the late 1950s.)
https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/wars-and ... my-weapons