60 Photos Of The Vietnam War

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

60 Photos Of The Vietnam War

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:20 am

Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: 60 Photos Of The Vietnam War

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Not much there that hasn't been seen many times before. Although it could be an eye opener for someone
that knew nothing about the war. Most were stolen from the internet as there were no credits at the end, many were
from professional photographers working for news services. And the music was totally depressing....... :D
But still interesting to see them again, brings back memories, good and bad.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Some of it could use better telling. Like the guys behind the paddy dike that's being called a hedge.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:59 am

One of my favourite photographers, Don McCullin has many series of photographs taken in war zones https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 2&dpr=1.25

This particular one has always stayed in my mind.......
Publication1.jpg
........as I am sure it has with many others.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:50 am

I got a 6th of the 31st site. On it is an album of photos made from copies guys sent me of their Vietnam photos. One time I got a message from the wife of a guy who had passed on and she was about to pitch his Vietnam bring back photo album. She asked if I wanted it and I, of course did. So... I copied the photos into an album online at my site under his name: Mirl Hollabaugh. He had been in my old Alpha company. Then, at the time I had a connection to the head guy at the Ft Bennning Infantry Museum, and after an email back and forth, sent him the album for the museum. It's at the National Infantry Museum now.

One of those photos that came close to being lost for all time I find particularly stuck in my mind. That's Mirl in the photo. One of his squad members must have snapped it for him.
Attachments
clipboard3.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm

Yup, we looked like that. Ammo belts, grenades, canteen, towel around your neck soaked with sweat.....
and wet up to your balls....... :shock:. We looked like shit and felt the same.

And I agree with you about the comments on those 60 photos, some were off base...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.