GUNFIRE..................

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

GUNFIRE..................

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:20 pm

https://www.forces.net/news/tri-service ... -441033573

As a platoon Sergeant I served Gunfire to my platoon with Woods Navy Rum - 100% proof - which I purchase myself after the QM gave me a bottle of Lambs Navy for the job. :evil: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: GUNFIRE..................

Post by Niner » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Reminds me of the US 31st Infantry Regiment. Once upon a time while serving in the Philippines a hundred years ago and being temporarily assigned to China during the Boxer rebellion, someone came upon the idea of having a coin silver bowl and cups made. Each officer had his own cup with initials. The bowl is known in the regiment history as the Shanghai Bowl. Later when WWII started and the regiment was left to fight until they could fight no more and before ultimate surrender the bowl and at least some of the cups were buried. After the war and the Regiment reconstituted the bowl was dug up and part of the Regiment tradition again.

Today the Regiment Association borrows it from it's place of honor in military stores, one time held at the National Infantry Museum, and has the Shanghai bowl ceremony. The thing is all ceremonially done, complete with original cups, and booze from every continent that the Regiment served in the last hundred years is poured in the bowl along with some punch. This would include Vodka from guarding the Siberian railroad and stores in WWI, Rice wine, Rum, and I don't know what else. From all reports any sample of the punch beyond a sip produces a hangover from hell.