Now here is a believe it or not story

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Now here is a believe it or not story

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:41 pm

I dug out my DD 214. My spin number is 201. That means, according to your link, end term of service enlisted personnel. No other meaning.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:01 am

Thinking of this string and medals. I ran into this photo. It's Admiral Nimitz and General Eisenhower in 1946 getting honorary degrees from A Virginia university. Notice they aren't decked out in ribbons. Eisenhower who not only led the US Army in war but masterminded and directed coordination with other allied armies only is showing two ribbons. Nimitz, if he has any on at all they aren't showing in the photo. Those guys were real war leaders and didn't need any medals to decorate their uniforms. Everybody knew their value to winning WWII and they were modest in deference to the men they commanded.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (127.01 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:47 pm

Duncan,
I’m of the same mind and a consequence of this practice of wearing inherited medals on the right hand side, some female veterans were told by well meaning busybodies that they were wearing their own medals on the wrong side!

Don’t know what any of them replied but I’d hope it was more military than ladylike.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:13 am

Seems odd that Ike is wearing what I guess is his West Point ring on the finger that is usually for
a wedding ring. Maybe he was married to the Army? Wonder what Mamie thought of that...... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:57 am

I just now looked it up on google. Men didn't start wearing wedding bands until around the middle of the 20th Century. Some smart marketing by jewelry stores I think.....or maybe some women's movement early notions of equality.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:50 pm

And for the ladies........ "Diamond engagement rings didn't become popular until 1947 when De Beers, the British company that mined diamonds in South Africa, launched an advertising campaign. With the help of Hollywood stars and the slogan, "A diamond is forever," diamond engagement rings skyrocketed in popularity."
Although I doubt if they skyrocketed in popularity with the men who had tp pay for them........ :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.