Veteran reunions

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Veteran reunions

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:33 pm

I saw this photo of a group of veterans at a reunion at Gettysburg about a half century after the battle. It reminded me of a battalion reunion I put on at Branson in 2015 for veterans of the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry, 9th Infantry Division who served in Vietnam. One of the group photos showed 16 men....the same number as in the Civil War veteran photo. Echo company veterans...the recon and heavy mortar platoon company. The Vietnam reunion was 45 years after the battalion was deactivated in Vietnam. And... by the way.... several of the firebases in the battalion AO were named after Civil war battles or famous Civil War generals. There was a Gettysburg in the Plain of Reeds West of Saigon. There was a Chamberlain, commander at little Round Top, nearer to Saigon. There was also a Jackson, giving the South a straw further North of Chamberlain. However, of course General Jackson was already dead by the time of the Civil War Gettysburg.

I tried a different comparison with a handful of guys from my old company Alpha...although Alpha had nearly twice as many guys in attendance as Echo the small group interested me. Notice how now days nobody wears a suit except to weddings, funerals, and court dates if the wearer happens to be the defendant or the lawyer representing him.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (371.05 KiB) Viewed 698 times
50 years aftger-001.jpg
50 years aftger-001.jpg (389.56 KiB) Viewed 698 times
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Veteran reunions

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 am

Not many wear a suite to funerals here :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:48 am

What about the guy in the box?
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Wife to funeral director: "My husband died wearing a brown suite, please buy a blue suit to bury him in
and I'll pay for it."

Funeral director to wife (4 days later): "Your husband is in a beautiful blue suit for burial, and there is no cost. The next day
a deceased man came in wearing this blue suit and his wife didn't care if his suit was blue or brown.......
so I switched heads."

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.