A military postcard from sometime before WWII

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

A military postcard from sometime before WWII

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:24 am

I got this off of facebook. Considered cute in it's day with the check the boxes because of being too busy training postcard was apparently available at Ft. Bragg back shortly before WWII commenced for the US. However, there are a few things wrong with the 155 drill. Niner Delta can point out the top six or eight obvious problems I'm sure from what he still remembers from a half century ago. Hell, I can point out a few myself, like wouldn't those small trees be a problem with low angle firing of PD fuse HE rounds?
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (120.33 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: A military postcard from sometime before WWII

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:42 pm

I had written a lengthy reply explaining this was the short barrel single trail 155 from the last days of WWI that
was based on a French design. It was used up until 1945 as the 155 we remember came into use in 1942 and
still in use today. When I tried to add the photos I had collected..... all my research in my post went away...... :evil:
So I gave up and went home. It didn't seem to be the sites fault as maybe I took too long and it had signed me out.
But it was a posed photo of a howitzer that was not firing like the caption said, too many things wrong to list.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:06 am

I have had that problem too Vern. I now write the long posts in Open Office ( I don't use Windows Office, it's too expensive! ) and when it's right I copy and paste it. No danger of losing it that way. :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:09 pm

Good idea Duncan, I'll start doing that for long replies. I use Windows Office because it has a good
photo editing program.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.