In the swim!

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

In the swim!

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:26 am

I was thinking about when 3RAR returned to Australia in 1954 abord the P&O ship “New Australia”.
She had a swimming pool, almost of Olympic proportions, deep down in the lowest hold level.
As the ship pitched the water used to form a huge wave, great though risky sport.

Colonel Buckler had issued orders for the use of the pool, Other ranks 7.00 am till noon, Officers and other married ranks, wives and children, 1.00pm till 4.00pm then ORs again.
Officers and senior NCOs could swim with their men if they liked.

Top and bottom of the order, in Capitals.
THESE TIMES WILL BE STRICTLY ADHERED TO.

Needless to say some of the Officers’ wives thought that these orders didn’t apply to them.

So down they went in the OR’s time and then complained to the Colonel that they were most embarrassed because all the men were naked and gave a mighty cheer when the ladies walked in.

The Orderly room clerk told us that the Colonel gave them a blast for disobeying his orders and that swim wear was not part of the soldiers’ kit on active service.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: In the swim!

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:49 am

Good story. Have you thought of writing down the stories you have told here, and any others that come to mind, to leave for your family? I bet you could publish them and get good reviews as well.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 am

I should check them out with the wife first Eoin :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:04 am

I have written some of them down, must do more whilst there is still time but not the ones that my wife doesn’t need to read :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.