Veterans Day in the US.

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Veterans Day in the US.

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:19 pm

No doubt in Europe and elsewhere it is also commemorated in some fashion by one title or the other. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, World War I came to an end. The idea in the US is to thank veterans from all services and all time frames for service to country. This is different from Memorial Day in that this holiday is aimed at veterans who just served at one time or the other and to a large extent not necessarily in combat or in combat support. It's for the living, not the dead, who answered the countries call, or just stepped right up and volunteered.

More than a few people remember, and somewhat confuse, those who died for their country from the service of those who merely marked time in some peace time role. For Vietnam the best source of information has long been the Coffelt Data base for those who died in that conflict.

https://www.coffeltdatabase.org/srchbyname.php

Unfortunately, the database that did include military documents that explained more fully what happened to the individual deceased no longer offers that service. The links still exist, but because nefarious individuals would mine information for evil purposes, those links no longer are allowed to work. Those who's stories were pretty much lost in the haze of time are even more lost now.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Veterans Day in the US.

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:10 pm

As today is to honor all my fellow veterans I say, "Thank you for serving our country."
It was not always a popular thing to do, but we did it anyway. I hope you are all as proud as I am.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Veterans Day in the US.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:33 am

Conflict continues, this is the wreath that I will place today in the CWGC Cemetery in Bordeaux.
Attachments
1668261087500a---Copy-(3)a.jpg
1668261087500a---Copy-(3)a.jpg (169.79 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.