So how does Prince Harry's memoir strike you?

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

So how does Prince Harry's memoir strike you?

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:33 am

Prince Harry is cashing in with a book sure to upset some apple carts back at the old home castle. One thing, involving his military service, has gotten some people upset and on the warpath against him.
LONDON (AP) — In a book full of startling revelations, Prince Harry’s assertion that he killed 25 people in Afghanistan is one of the most striking — and has drawn criticism from both enemies and allies.

In his memoir, “Spare,” Harry says he killed more than two dozen Taliban militants while serving as an Apache helicopter copilot gunner in Afghanistan in 2012-2013. He writes that he feels neither satisfaction nor shame about his actions, and in the heat of battle regarded enemy combatants as pieces being removed from a chessboard, “Baddies eliminated before they could kill Goodies.”

Harry has talked before about his combat experience, saying near the end of his tour in 2013 that “if there’s people trying to do bad stuff to our guys, then we’ll take them out of the game.”

But his decision to put a number on those he killed, and the comparison to chess pieces, drew outrage from the Taliban, and concern from British veterans.
“Mr. Harry! The ones you killed were not chess pieces, they were humans; they had families who were waiting for their return,” prominent Taliban member Anas Haqqani wrote Friday on Twitter.
Retired Army Col. Richard Kemp told the BBC the claim was “an error of judgment” that would be “potentially valuable to those people who wish the British forces and British government harm.”
Col. Tim Collins, who led a British battalion during the Iraq war, told Forces News that the statement was “not how you behave in the Army; it’s not how we think.” Retired Royal Navy officer Rear Adm. Chris Parry called the claim “distasteful.”
In the US military nobody, or nearly nobody, who actually killed any enemy talks about it, nor numbers if in the few cases they do. However, as pointed out in the same article : Harry said he reviewed video of his missions, and “in the era of Apaches and laptops,” technology let him know exactly how many enemy combatants he had killed.

War, for the US has been a body count game starting with the Vietnam War. In the more technical age a half century on counting the bodies is a lot more precise.

Being a gunner in an Apache and killing two dozen people, that were thought to have been "enemy" would seem to be an under count. But be that as it may, should he be required to express remorse and do the PTSD thing? Hasn't it long been the intention of every military to train their troops to dehumanize their enemies? Certainly, even if the military commanders didn't go to great intended lengths to do so their governments propaganda certainly did, and with a lot of help from the press. And so it continues with the Ukraine conflict if you look closely.

I'd say Harry's statement is exactly how a lot of soldiers from many eras felt about their relationship to the enemy they confronted with the numbers killed or unknown killed by individual combat participants irrelevant.

https://apnews.com/article/prince-harry ... 856a539e2a
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: So how does Prince Harry's memoir strike you?

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:17 pm

I have always considered war a 'kill or be killed' project. Although like Niner said, most guys don't talk
about numbers. Both of us being in the artillery, we'll never know how many.... and don't need to know.
The worst question anyone can ask a combat veteran is.... "How many of them did you kill?"

Opinions expressed here are worth every cent you paid for them....... :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:57 am

Harry and his wife are nauseating little shits and the sooner they loose their titles the better.
324335518_847311213240455_8723361655242203242_n.jpg
324335518_847311213240455_8723361655242203242_n.jpg (40.98 KiB) Viewed 615 times
I doubt he is the son of Charles anyway.

They want their own life in the US - Fine, but stay out of our lives.............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:46 am

He has also overstepped the mark with the military............

https://www.forces.net/royals/prince-ha ... MAIL_ID%5D
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:13 pm

I couldn't read much of that link because I don't belong to that site. However, I looked up Col. Tim Collins. He is famous for giving a speech to the Irish battalion before going into Iraq. Shakespeare couldn't have done better using present day language and it would fit right into an academy award winning movie made by a famous actor. At the time Col. Collins had apparently never been in an actual war and only knew it from hearsay and whatever he did in Ireland to keep peace. His idea of combat seems to be in these paragraphs:
The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam. He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.

It is a big step to take another human life. It is not to be done lightly. I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts, I can assure you they live with the Mark of Cain upon them. If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.

The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer. You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest for your deeds will follow you down through history. We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.
It boils down to: The enemy is evil and deserved to die. Show them no pity. However, if they surrender spare them. And above this, don't kill any civilians on purpose because , besides being wrong, it will look bad on your record, your family will be ashamed of you and the regiments honor will be stained.

As to Prince Harry, I do think he is making a big mistake in running his mouth and causing hell in his family and embarrassing a lot of innocent British subjects. In the general business world, if a management level person leaves a business because he is fired or leaves for what he perceives as bad treatment the unwritten law is to speak no evil about your former employer. It can only come back to bite you in the butt and get you kicked out of whatever type of business you are in. Harry never seemed to get that unwritten message. However, if he sells enough books and goes on enough tv shows he won't have to worry about further employment of the Royal kind I'd imagine.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:44 pm

Sorry to have to say this but the little shit has burnt all his boats as far an I am concerned and deserves nothing more than to rot on your side of the pond. All I will say is that non of this crap started until he married Markle.
He's a grovelling little bastard with no possible hope of being reintegrated with the British Royal Family.
America can keep him and his lies.
No more comments from me regarding the Ginger Winger and his difunctional wife.............................
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:45 pm

As far as Col. Tim Collins...... ""He has chosen a path that is alien to us in the UK and the Commonwealth,
pursuing US identity politics and casting slurs or racism around where none exists in any manner comparable to the USA."

He can go fuck himself. And next time the UK can bring their own helicopters instead of using ours...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:15 am

It’s been my experience, with some 15 years association with the military (6 years Regular Army, 4 years Active Reserve and overlapping time with the Dept of Defence[Army]) that those who boasted of killing were full of bullshit. I never met one soldier that I knew had seen active service who ever talked about his kills.
Among those was a Posthumous VC, who honoured me by having me check his weapons before he’d go back to Vietnam, where he was eventually KIA.
I did know one Armourer who was Mentioned in Dispatches, who said that he’d never killed anyone, he got his MiID for stumbling upon a large group of Germans who were desperate to surrender.
I don’t doubt that the Pampered Prince saw action which makes killing claims all the more in bad taste.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 pm

Too true Eoin........
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:25 pm

:shock: :shock:
Attachments
325167433_551115590271934_8978184521014245909_n.jpg
325167433_551115590271934_8978184521014245909_n.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Duncan