B17 G Flying Fortress

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

B17 G Flying Fortress

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 pm

I was gifted a model kit recently. I'll try to put it together as soon as I can get some glue. Might need Arch to give me some instructive advice.
Attachments
DSC02276.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: B17 G Flying Fortress

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Oooooo, I spent many happy hours building plastic kits of aircraft, ships and even guns. Revell, Airfix, and a Japanese make which I can't remember - maybe Aurora........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Nice model, Revell has always been one of the top model makers, the later B-17G has the chin turret.
When my boys were young we would do these model airplane kits and hang them from their bedroom ceilings.
I think the hardest part was painting them...... :D

Duncan, the names I remember were Hasegawa and Tamiya.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm

When I was in middle school and until I was 16 or 17 ...give or take... I used to love building ship models from kits. I had several. The CSS Alabama, the Kearsarge, the Thermopylae clipper ship. They were fairly large scale and the hulls were about 30 inches long. Later in life I gave the Alabama and the Kearsarge to my wife's younger brothers back when we first got engaged. I gave the Thermopylae away too, to somebody.

Once, thirty or so years ago during a time of unemployment I built a model of the Tennessee Confederate ironclad from scrap wood. It's in the garage housing no telling what assortment of vermin now days.

I posted a photo of it years ago here on the site. I found it. Somewhat in bad repair then and probably worse now.
Attachments
project.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 am

I remember Tamiya but not Hasegawa. There was a French kit maker called Heller.
Most of my models were ships and I remember my mum complaining about the dust they used to collect , especially sailing ships!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 am

Sailing ships with plastic sails. They were great for catching dust and difficult to clean. That's not to mention the dust fuzz on the rigging and rat lines.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am

I still have some of my old 1/48 scale fighters in the loft, I also still like to peruse the model kit comics to see what the latest releases are. There's some really obscure stuff you can get these days.