The canon ball that landed on the Hartford

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

The canon ball that landed on the Hartford

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:06 pm

The Hartford was the flagship of Farragut at the battle of Mobile Bay during the Civil war. I was on another site and someone asked a question about the battle and it got me to looking for the advertisement for the canon ball that impacted Farragut's ship. It should have been bought by the Ft. Morgan museum, I thought, but maybe they doubted the authenticity ....or just didn't have any interest.

I noticed this advertisement on Norm Flayderman's online site years ago. He was offering this relic and I mentioned it to one of the managers at the Ft. Morgan museum and admissions office when I visited shortly after I saw the advertisement. I told the guy to email me and I'd give him the link. The museum, at the time didn't have an email address, and probably still doesn't, so he had to contact me. Never heard from him.

For those who don't know Norm Flayderman, he was an expert on US antique military firearms and published a thick catalogue of information and speculative prices in 8 or so editions over probably 50 years.

I found these attachments using the Wayback machine. From 2011.
Attachments
P1000097.jpg
img689.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The canon ball that landed on the Hartford

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:52 pm

I wonder why he was "tied to the rigging of his flagship", and if he was wearing his brown pants?? .... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: The canon ball that landed on the Hartford

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 am

I joined this facebook page on the "Mobile Campaign" and posted the topic there that I posted here. The next day I got this response:
Paul DeHaan
Great to see this cannonball again. I bought it from Norm and it was part of my Farragut/USS Hartford collection until I sold it to a prominent Louisville collector in 2010. I sold most of my collection in 2014 and also contacted Fort Morgan and got no response."
Amazing the information you can gather on the internet by happenstance.