Liberty's Provenance:.....

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Liberty's Provenance:.....

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 17, 2020 3:02 am

..........The Evolution of the Liberty Ship from Its Sunderland Origins.

I have just started this
911zhUvyG0L.jpg
Looks very interesting and the detail is excellent.
IMG_20190609_092748.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: Liberty's Provenance:.....

Post by Niner Delta » Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 pm

They kept breaking in half until they welded a wide steel band down both sides, but they sure kept
the supplies going to all the Allied forces. It was amazing how fast the shipyards could build one... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon May 18, 2020 12:06 am

There was the "ghost fleet" with a lot of those old liberty ships in the Mobile Delta for a lot of years. They were tied in rows side by side and anchored for the Cold war that might have gotten to be a hot war. A friend of mine used to tell the story of his dad being a watchman for the ghost fleet and patrolling in a small boat around them. I'm sure they are all gone now. Would have been good to save a few of them for public exhibit.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon May 18, 2020 4:29 am

I copied one of the drawings from the book with the idea of turning it into a Blueprint in Photoshop. Looks like a complicated process watching how it's done on YouTube.

Here is a Blackprint instead!!
Attachments
SHIP 1.jpg
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 am

Niner Delta wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 pm They kept breaking in half until they welded a wide steel band down both sides, but they sure kept
the supplies going to all the Allied forces. It was amazing how fast the shipyards could build one... :shock:

Hull cracks
Early Liberty ships suffered hull and deck cracks, and a few were lost due to such structural defects. During World War II there were nearly 1,500 instances of significant brittle fractures. Twelve ships, including three of the 2,710 Liberties built, broke in half without warning, including SS John P. Gaines, which sank on 24 November 1943 with the loss of 10 lives. Suspicion fell on the shipyards, which had often used inexperienced workers and new welding techniques to produce large numbers of ships in great haste.

The Ministry of War Transport borrowed the British-built Empire Duke for testing purposes. Constance Tipper of Cambridge University demonstrated that the fractures did not start in the welds themselves, but were due to low temperature embrittlement of the steel used; the same steel used in riveted construction did not have this problem. She discovered that the ships in the North Atlantic were exposed to temperatures that could fall below a critical point at which the steel changed from being ductile to becoming brittle, allowing cracks to start easily. The predominantly welded hull construction allowed small cracks to propagate unimpeded, unlike in a hull made of separate plates riveted together. One common type of crack nucleated at the square corner of a hatch which coincided with a welded seam, both the corner and the weld acting as stress concentrators. Furthermore, the ships were frequently grossly overloaded, increasing stresses, and some of the problems occurred during or after severe storms at sea that would have placed any ship at risk. Minor revisions to the hatches and various reinforcements were applied to the Liberty ships to arrest the cracking problem. The successor Victory ship used the same steel, with improved design to reduce potential fatigue.
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri May 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Similar to the cracks in the corners of the de Havilland DH 106 Comet square windows.

I thought I had read somewhere that they had welded wide steel bands along the side of the ships to
stop the cracking, but couldn't find it now.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 am

I may just buy a model kit after I finish the book. This is on Amazon.fr
Attachments
LIBERTY.jpg
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 am

Finished the book this morning, what a revelation about the history and how it was bent and manipulated . Well worth the reading.

I have now bought a model kit of the John W.Brown

https://www.ssjohnwbrown.org/

We have second viewing of the house this Saturday so I might need something to do while waiting for the paperwork to wend it's laborious way around!!
Duncan