The hot seat

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

The hot seat

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:44 am

Saw this photo on facebook. Seems there was a red seat in an old US Destroyer for the sailors with social diseases and maybe crabs. But seeing how close the seats are, on a busy day a lot of sailors would be rubbing up against each other anyway.
Attachments
hot.jpg
hot.jpg (67 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The hot seat

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 pm

I remember showing my wife photos like this and explaining this was how it was in
basic training. She didn't believe me at first.
Although the chain link over the windows might mean this photo is in a prison or jail.

50.jpg
50.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 859 times
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:08 pm

Remember the shitters in Vietnam? You also had to smell the diesel fumes. Long bench with holes... splinters in your ass optional. If you were lucky there was some paper.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:46 am

In the Battle School at Haramura in Japan (1950s) the OR’s dunny was a 24 holler without partitions, I had to go one morning about 10 am and was safely ensconced when in came the cleaning ladies.
With.a polite bow and a “Good morning, Boy-san” they proceeded to commence scrubbing the long bench.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:10 am

I can remember one training camp on Salisbury Plain where the toilets had individual cubicles but no doors :shock:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:56 am

At least the military latrine didn't roll, pitch and yaw for soldiers. That's something to think about.

However, now that I'm on the subject, I remember a time in the 101st after being sent there when the last brigade of the 9th pulled out. I was made an LNO acting jack who's job was to clear and deny artillery grids for fire and I was 12 on and 12 off in an infantry headquarters bunker on a mountain firebase in the A Shau. One day I was outside the bunker for some reason and a big shit hook chopper was delivering 105 ammo on a pallet slung under the bird 50 yards or so away. The bird was hovering low trying to get the load in a particular place and was having some kind of problem. It was kicking up a lot wind and dust. I noticed a three or four hole shitter near the spot teetering on the edge of the hill top and then in a somewhat more directed trust of wind the struggling chopper blew the shitter over the side of the hill. Turns out one guy had been in the facility when it went over. Thankfully it wasn't a straight drop and the building didn't go too far down the hill. He was hurt to some extent but not seriously. I often wondered if he would qualify for a purple heart. Of course if his grandchildren should ask how he got it he might lie....I would.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:58 am

At least the military latrine didn't roll, pitch and yaw for soldiers. That's something to think about.
They did after a good night out I can assure you!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.