I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am

I reserved a table at an upcoming gun show. It's the first I'll ever have been to on the reverse side of the table. I'm not nervous about the selling part.... I spent most of my adult life selling things on commission. But I find myself getting a little nervous running over the plan of action in my head.

The reason I'm doing this gun show is that it has come time to reduce the collection. I'm a lot closer to the end of life than when I began my collection and I don't want to leave my family with the shock of having to deal with my collection as it exists now. I intend to keep the best of my collection to the end so it's not like I'm jumping off a cliff with my long fascination with history. However, the problem is figuring out what to ask for what I plan to bring to the show.

What's the reasonable asking price for a Turk Mauser with bayonet?
What's a full rifle size Mosin Nagant worth?
What's a K98 war reparations Mauser with most to all of the Nazi marks scrubbed worth?
What's an Enfield with the wire wrap and accompanied cup grenade holder worth?

The only good thing is I kept track of what I paid for each and it all boils down to selling for more than I paid. I do know I should be able to get at least three times what I paid for some of them I should think.....$50 rifles from 20 years ago. Of course, with a market that has changed as to both desire and availability it is hard to guess what is a fair price.

Any advice?
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Obviously can't offer you any guidance on prices but I would say that if I was selling I would have each weapon tagged with it's full details and asking price.
How are you going to be paid if you sell any?
If cash is involved be sure to have some change!
39895b6d-5350-43ef-806c-18c836ff2543.jpg
39895b6d-5350-43ef-806c-18c836ff2543.jpg (276.91 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
Good luck
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Duncan, I can use any such hints as you suggest. At the moment I know I need to tag each one. No problem in replacing the ones I have on all of my collection now. I still have lots of tags. I know I'll have to have some change and I know to ask round numbers.... no $126.95 sort of prices. I will have to use some plastic lock tags....as per show requirement. I'll need some cable locks for times when I'm not at the table. I got a table cover. There are a dozen small padlocks in the mail...all keyed the same...for the cables.

I'm in a dither over what I want to ask for any of them and what I'll be willing to negotiate them down to if I have a live customer who is ready to buy. Of course, one show is a very limited market and what the market value is reduced down to from probable max selling price by the limited potential customers is an unknown factor. However...if I see someone who really is interested for the historical value and would really appreciate owning a piece my price will go down accordingly. And the object of the exercise is not to get rich but to get rid of some of the surplus.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm a bit younger than you Robert but I'm starting to think on down sizing lines too. I'm not much cop at selling so I would say, know your bottom prices and stick with them, there are plenty of chancers out there who'll try and take your trousers down.
Good luck with the table sale.
Joe
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I was going to spring for a table at the local show next week. (I haven't had a table in years) I only have 4 or five handguns and one rifle I want to sell. When I was quoted $100 for a table, my plans changed....... :shock:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:01 pm

I think that you will find that your knowledge will help you maintain a sensible price because you can talk knowledgeably to the punters.
I also think you would do well to have some on a rack rather than flat on the table..........people can see them from a distance then.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.85 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
american-furniture-classics-gun-safes-840-64_1000.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Good luck with your sale, Robert. I obviously have no good ideas for you as I have never
been on the other side of the table.
Just be prepared for some really dumb questions...... people in general are stupid...... :roll:
Be thankful you are not in WA state, all gun sales at gun shows now require a background check.
Damn Seattle liberal Democrat idiots keep passing stupid laws.... :evil:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm

In Alabama, private owner sales don't require a background check. In Alabama the basic rules are that if you don't have any reason to suspect the buyer isn't allowed to buy a weapon you assume he is. You have to be careful to avoid straw purchases or anything you think may be a straw purchase. You are not allowed to sell to someone from out of state and if in state the buyer has to be at least 18 for a rifle and 21 for a handgun. With a C&R you have to see identification, usually a drivers license, and record all the pertinent information off it in your book. I think I'll take a camera and photograph a purchasers licence next to the firearm and tag.

The table is at a usually well attended show and is costing me $60. I figure that's a low enough figure to give it a try and expect to at least cover the expense. It won't be until the beginning of August so I have some time to mull over the ins and outs of it.
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Post by englishman_ca » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:32 am

I might seem a little flippant, but I think that many gun show vendors figure out the value of something then double it!

It is always easier to haggle to lower than the asking price than it is to haggle it up higher!

Price tags have never stopped me from asking politely as to what would be their rock bottom price and negotiating a deal.

Ask what you want, just be ready to bargain. For some it is all part of the game.

And dont forget to sit behind the table with a sour puss face and your arms folded. That seems to be the common vendor pose these days in Ontario! lol. I enjoy giving them a warm smile and a 'good morning, how's it going?'

Bon chance with your sales. You will probably make it a good day out for a lot of collectors.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Good advice Englishman. I know you can't go up from the price you offer but only down in any price negotiation. On the other side of the coin you can't appear to be too greedy either. I've passed by a lot of offerings at gun shows that looked to me to be way out of line as an asking price. Saw a couple Indian 2A's at a show not long ago offered for a just under $500 each from two different dealers. I paid $82 for one of mine 18 years ago and although I suspect they are worth double what I paid for them I can't see anybody with all his marbles paying $500 for bolt action Indian Enfield even if it's not .303 but NATO version of the .308.