Books that collectors need to invest in

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Books that collectors need to invest in

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 am

On the chat today we were talking about books that gun collectors and shooters need in their library. Everybody held up more than one book that they prize. If anyone would like to add to this string it may be of service to someone else to know what many of us old dogs at the game prize.

I'd say, among all the books I have acquired over the years that the two most valued as practical and necessary are by J. B. Wood. His Firearms Assembly/Disassembly books are musts for the eclectic collector. Firearms Part IV: Centerfire Rifles and Part 1: Firearms Auto Pistol are the ones to have. They have been produced in several editions. Occasional firearm additions have been made through the years, but any edition new or used is good.

There are lots of gun subjects and publications on various weapons. There are books on reloading. There are books that are catalogs as to value and to history. There are black power subjects and any number of other topics. If anyone cares to add to the list, please do so.
Attachments
books.jpg
rifles.jpg
pistol.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Books that collectors need to invest in

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 am

My collection is too numerous to mention and includes books by Ian Skennerton, Ian V Hogg, Shidler, Peterson, Flayderman and Joe Poyer.

Many years ago there was an offer on line to buy a series of Surplusrifle.com 2003,4,5 & 6.

I also picked up 3 CD's of Military Instruction Manuals covering a multitude of subjects from Ammunition to repair of wooden items published in 1915.

If anyone would like copies of these 3 CD's they are welcome if they will cover the cost of the postage. :bigsmile:
Attachments
Screen-Shot-12-13-21web.jpg
Screen-Shot-12-13-21-001web.jpg
Screen-Shot-12-13-21-002w.jpg
Screen-Shot-12-13-21-003web.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:33 pm

If you collect Mauser style rifles you need Robert Ball's Mauser Military Rifles of the World. Robert Ball used to contribute posts to gun message boards years ago. Not this one...but at the original Tuco site and probably also to the first Gunboards. If there is someone who had a better and more overreaching knowledge of the subject I don't recall anyone ever pointing such a person out. Here is a sketch of who he was:
https://www.courant.com/obituaries/hc-f ... story.html
Attachments
DSC04125.jpg
DSC04125.jpg (267.29 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
DSC04123.jpg
DSC04123.jpg (191.51 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:35 pm

Gunmarks by Robert Balderson. It's an old book for me. It is good for finding out basic things about assorted old firearms from codes, marks, manufacturer imprints.

I just did a Google and seems the hits I came up with are way over optimistic on the value of this book. $80? This is a 1996 book that listed for $15. In any case, if you can find one for a few dollars get it.
Attachments
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (192.88 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
marks.jpg
marks.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
codes.jpg
codes.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
trade names.jpg
trade names.jpg (225.66 KiB) Viewed 1032 times