Kookaburra cull

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

Kookaburra cull

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 am

Kookaburra cull of 350 birds lands Tasmanian man a $5,000 fine for incorrect weapons permit.

The cull was legal but he had a semi-auto rifle and a silencer.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-21 ... /102119794
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Kookaburra cull

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:02 am

The law is the law - stupid though it may seem but this guy is the idiot. He knew the rifle was illegal and he bought a silencer illegally.......Nuf Said Eoin?!!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Kookaburra cull

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:47 am

I suspect the rifle and silencer were confiscated along with the fine. I wonder who turned him in or was keeping count of how many birds he shot on his own property? What if the semi auto rifle was black and looked like a weapon generally issued for warfare would the fine be larger? Would he have gotten some time in jail? What if he had been drinking while shooting birds from his back porch and his accuser swore to it? Would that be an added offense....like driving under the influence? Wonder if the judge was elected to his position on the court? Wonder if the miscreant had voted for him? Wonder if the newly minted criminal is sorry if he did?