A city in California has voted for a new law

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

A city in California has voted for a new law

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:27 am

Well here is a new notion in the nanny state of California. The question in my mind is what insurance company will offer insurance to pay off the next of kin of anybody you shoot? Wonder what the premiums would look like for former mental patients? Would there be any loopholes for being shot while committing a crime? Wonder if Trump supporters would be ruled not insurable?
https://apnews.com/article/business-vio ... 3661805a4a

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A California city voted Tuesday night to require gun owners to carry liability insurance in what’s believed to be the first measure of its kind in the United States.

Having liability insurance would encourage people in the 55,000 households in San Jose who legally own at least one registered gun to have gun safes, install trigger locks and take gun safety classes, Mayor Sam Liccardo said.

The liability insurance would cover losses or damages resulting from any accidental use of the firearm, including death, injury, or property damage, according to the ordinance. If a gun is stolen or lost, the owner of the firearm would be considered liable until the theft or loss is reported to authorities.

However, gun owners who don’t have insurance won’t lose their guns or face any criminal charges, the mayor said.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: A city in California has voted for a new law

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:00 pm

Don't the first and last sentence kind of contradict each other?........ :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:51 am

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A gun rights group and a gun owner have filed a lawsuit against a California city for a newly passed ordinance requiring citizens to obtain firearm liability insurance and pay an annual fee.

The National Association for Gun Rights and gun owner Mark Sikes sued San Jose in federal court Tuesday after City Council members voted to approve the ordinance believed to be the first measure of its kind in the United States. Sikes is from San Jose.

“The law is unconstitutional,” Harmeet Dhillon, an attorney representing the plaintiffs, said

That didn't take long!!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm

If there is no punishment or penalty for ignoring the "law" then there is no actual law. It's a suggestion. This Niner Delta pointed out. However, can a suggestion pretending to be a law be unconstitutional when it's only a suggestion and not really a law? :shock:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:54 pm

The city passed an ordinance not a law, there is a difference. An ordinance is only enforceable within the municipality
that passed it, but I'm not sure of the details.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:53 pm

I was reading the part of the story that went:
However, gun owners who don’t have insurance won’t lose their guns or face any criminal charges, the mayor said.
The council also voted to require gun owners to pay an estimated $25 fee, which would be collected by a yet-to-be-named nonprofit and doled out to community groups to be used for firearm safety education and training, suicide prevention, domestic violence, and mental health services.
Maybe there will be some sort of action if "gun owners" don't pay the $25 fee....or not. :roll:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:06 pm

My guess is this will be tied up in court and never happen. Every pro-gun group will jump
on this and fight it as it would set a precedent for other liberal towns to follow.
That's my opinion and it's worth the paper it's printed on....... :cool:

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 pm

I think you are on the right track there Niner Delta. Glad I don't live in California just the same.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:29 pm

I lived there from 1980 to 1994. That was while the whole place was turning to crazy la-la land.
It was a lot of fun when we first moved there, but by the time we left, it was really time go....... :roll: