Permitless Carry in Alabama could happen

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Permitless Carry in Alabama could happen

Post by Niner » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:00 pm

In Alabama sheriffs have the concealed carry concession. You sign up, pay some money, the Sheriff does a background check and if you pass you are good to go. The Sheriff does what he wants with the money....including keeping it as a perk of office if he wants. The Alabama legislature has the bill through one house and it's got more than a 50/50 chance in the state Senate. The governor, We dare to defend our rights MeMaw, is likely to sign the bill.

The law enforcement people are up in arms. They say more crazy people will be carrying around consealed weapons that already they can open carry..... and those criminals and crazy people will shoot more innocent people. Of course ten states already allow unlicensed concealed carry, including Mississippi next door to Alabama. There are no statistics on how the crime rate is affected in those states because of their "negligence" that I know of.....but that's beside the point.

The latest argument published today in the only large all state newspaper in Alabama is made in an editorial by Neil Rafferty a state House member. His best argument goes like this:
More than 6,000. That’s how many people were stopped from getting gun permits in Alabama last year because background checks found the applicant had a criminal history or suffered from unstable mental health. The proposed legislation (HB 272) is making its way through the Alabama Legislature to allow those 6,000 plus people to walk through our communities unknown. If enacted, permitless carry would enable anyone to conceal a gun in public without obtaining a government-issued permit. This would allow people with dangerous histories to evade background check requirements and safeguards to responsible gun ownership.
I can feel the horror. Only thing I wonder is why someone with a criminal history would try to get a permit knowing the obvious outcome? Of course the crazy people it is understandable. They are just crazy. At the same time I suspect the criminals and the crazy people will carry a pistol if they feel like it anyway. I guess we will have to live in fear which ever way the law goes. The only thing that is clear is that the county sheriffs will have to find another source for mad money if the law passes and is signed into law.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Permitless Carry in Alabama could happen

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:26 pm

They passed that when I lived in AZ, and we lived through it. I have to laugh at their logic that
crazy people could even buy a gun and then give a shit about a carry permit.
Still waiting for the outcome of the idiot legislature in my state deciding about 10+ magazines.
Certainly a different mindset in our 2 states...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Permitless Carry in Alabama could happen

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:42 pm

It passed today and the governor signed the bill. You can also have a loaded weapon in a vehicle it is reported.