Bacon Butties

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Bacon Butties

Post by Niner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:31 am

Just to carry on with similar mindlessness......... What do the French call French Bread? Do they ever make poboys out of them....and if they do ...do they call them poboys? :oops:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:14 am

First I had to Google it - It is actually Poor Boy. The Poor Boy Sandwich originated in the French Market in 1922 during a streetcar strike so Not French.

The original Po' Boy was filled with breaded fried oysters or shrimp. Common variations include soft shell crab, catfish and crawfish, spicy Louisiana sausage such as andouille, fried chicken and shredded seasoned beef.

French Breads ; Well there are so many that this is probably a good guide to start with.

https://travel.earth/le-pain-the-differ ... ch-breads/

Locally my favorite for sandwiches is a Baguette Fillet, a white bread baguette that is slightly crisp on the outside but soft enough for making sandwiches such as..................................Bacon Butties!!! They cost 0.90€ at our local bakery :D :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:48 am

Duncan, just to clarify for people who may not get the connection, but the "French Market" is in New Orleans and not France. The"poboy" is more how it sounds than correct spelling as Duncan says. However the contents, although available enough in whatever source Googled says, leaves out the traditional version. The original Poboy on French bread is roast beef, with gravy, lettice, tomatto, with a little Mayo. It's still the original New Orleans number one sandwich version by many people.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:23 pm

And what do they call French Fries in France.... :mrgreen:

61.jpg
61.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 am

FRITES or les frites :FRA: :FRA: :FRA:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:20 pm

I vaguely remember a French class now more than a half century ago. What comes to mind is "pommes frites". Which is literally "fried potatoes". The French don't want to claim credit apparently by attaching "French" up front as a description.

On the subject of food with a country in it's common name usage:

36% – French Fries
14% – French Toast
10% – Turkey
6% – Canadian Bacon
5% – Spanish Rice
5% – American Cheese
5% – English Muffin
5% – Belgian Waffles
4% – Swiss Cheese
4% – Italian Sausage

https://appclarify.com/94-a-food-with-a ... e-answers/

There are a lot of foods from specific locations within countries. Like ...Roquefort cheese and Conecuh sausage.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

My favorite specific location is Kentucky Bourbon......... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.