Bacon Butties

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Bacon Butties

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:11 am

butty1
/ˈbʌti/
Learn to pronounce
nounINFORMAL•NORTHERN ENGLISH
a filled or open sandwich.
"a bacon butty"

Now to the actual bread.........
What you call a Muffin is not Butt bread.
English muffins are a yeast bread, cooked on a cast iron griddle. ... English muffins are quick baking and have simple ingredients of flour, yeast, salt, water or milk and a little sugar. The dough is mixed up, left to rise and then shaped into the traditional round shape and left to rise once more.

The raw material for a Bacon Butty or Banjo has a plethora of different names depending on the part of the country you come from.

Teacake - Oven Bottom Cake - Baps, Bread Cakes - Softies -----

EnglandIn most of England, a teacake is a light, sweet, yeast-based bun containing dried fruits, most usually currants, sultanas or peel. It is typically split, toasted, buttered, and served with tea. It is flat and circular, with a smooth brown upper surface and a somewhat lighter underside. Although most people refer to a teacake as a cake containing fruit, in East Lancashire, certain areas of Yorkshire and Cumbria the name currant teacake is used to distinguish fruited 'cakes' from plain bread rolls. In West Yorkshire, a large plain white or brown bread roll 9 inches or 225 mm diameter is often also called a teacake and is used to make very large sandwiches. Many cafes sell these for breakfast or midmorning snacks. In Kent, the teacake is known as a "huffkin", which is often flavoured with hops, especially at the time of harvesting hops in September. In Sussex, a luxurious version of the teacake with added aromatics such as nutmeg, cinnamon and rose water is still sometimes made and called a manchet or Lady Arundel's Manchet.

In East Lancashire, the former West Riding of Yorkshire, Cumbria and elsewhere in the North like the town of Barnsley, a teacake is a round bread roll which is cut in half to make sandwiches. They do not usually contain any sort of dried fruit. They can be made with either white, brown, wholemeal, or Granary flour (a brand of flour produced by Hovis, made by malting wheat, crushing the grains, roasting them, and then mixing them with brown flour).[2] A favourite way to eat them is to slice them into fingers, toast and then spread with butter and Bovril or Marmite.

As an aside, I like Current teacakes, buttered and filled with cheese and ham with a nice mug of NATO Standard tea.

There are Jam Butty Mines!
Where are the Jam Butty Mines?
What are the Jam Butty Mines? The Diddymen work in the Jam Butty Mines. The fictional mines can be found in Knotty Ash. The Diddymen also work The Snuff Quaries, the Broken Biscuit Repair Works, The Treacle Wells and the Moggy Ranch.

That should confuse you for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm

You have succeeded in confusing me.

So what do you call an English muffin in England?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 pm

You don't. It's just a Muffin and has nothing to do with bacon............... :razz: :razz:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 pm

That's about what I thought. I looked this up recently. Seems like there is one popular brand of English Muffin's in the US and it has been around a long time. Only thing is.... there isn't anything English about them.

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-english-m ... all-234056
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:03 am

Just to add a regional take on muffins, they are also called pikelets in my neck of the woods. :D
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Niner wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 pm That's about what I thought. I looked this up recently. Seems like there is one popular brand of English Muffin's in the US and it has been around a long time. Only thing is.... there isn't anything English about them.

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-english-m ... all-234056
If you read the comments at the end of the article, they agree that everything she said was wrong. Even
wikipedia proved her wrong. It seems she didn't research anything and English muffins are actually English.
Although there are many sites on google that don't agree about the origin of them..... :mrgreen:
Besides a breakfast sandwich, I like them at night, toasted with peanut butter and jam for a snack.

From Wikipedia......

"A split English muffin
Alternative names
muffin
Type - Bread
Place of origin - United Kingdom
Region or state - England
Main ingredients
Wheat flour, butter, milk, sugar, salt, egg, yeast
Cookbook: English muffin
Media: English muffin"

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:23 am

I don't know Vern. This guy Thomas made the American version long before any of those naysayers who claim to be British at the bottom of the page I linked. According to this Wikipedia page the American version of the muffin is really different... to some extent...from the plain British muffin and that ...if I'm reading this right.... the English muffin might be called in England an American muffin. Of course... it's late.... and I'm almost senile anyway and so maybe I'm wrong again. It's not like this is as important as deciding what Democratic candidate can promise the most chickens per pot if somebody will vote for them. I think Bernie has that licked at the moment, although Bloomberg probably could actually afford the bribery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:27 am

The ultimate resul is;

"You no lika de bacon you no getta de passport" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am

In Mobile, it could be "If you don't like Moonpies don't move here".

https://www.fox10tv.com/moonpie-drop-in ... 665db.html
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:29 pm

I think it's another one of those things where it depends on which web site you
believe, as no one knows the absolute answer for sure. Like the old question of where did
the name Jeep come from...... lots of answers, but ........ :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.