Sweet Tea

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Sweet Tea

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:18 pm

I post this for the UK contingent. Sweet tea is a southern US thing. It is served cold... generally with ice. If you go into a restaurant or fast food place for lunch, and you are a resident of the Southern US, you will likely order sweet tea over other things to drink....with the exception of Coca Cola being about as frequent. This is a popular guy from Alabama who does various food judging videos.

And I agree with his number one. I got a gallon jug in the refrigerator right now. :bigsmile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Sweet Tea

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:43 pm

It's been available over here for years, Liptons being the Brand Leader.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/437 ... in-france/

Personally I would rather drink Root Beer - and I HATE root beer!!!!!

The only tea worth considering is NATO Standard.....Strong hot tea with milt and two sugars............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm

I have never drunk iced tea. The tea I drink is Yorkshire Tea with a bit of milk. I drink 4 or 5 pint mugs of it every day.
Regards
Peter.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Living in the northern US, we don't get sweet tea, so we just dump sugar into iced tea.
The amount of tea that PeterN2 drinks is the way we drink coffee in US, all day long. Although I don't
drink that much, many Americans do (or more) .
I knew you wouldn't like it Duncan, you don't like anything, reminds me of Mikey in the cereal ads
from years ago.............. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 am

Not true Vern..........
What I don't like is stuff that has been 'mucked about' as we say in Yorkshire and the rest of the world seems to muck about with a lot of original foods that I like. ............... :razz: :razz:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am

What that guy in the sweet tea video is saying is what you are saying Duncan....ingredients ought to be just water, tea, and cane sugar. The brands he tested that add too many things....probably mostly chemicals...to prolong shelf life screw it up. We do use actual brewed tea of one sort or the other in the US. Some snaps of tea at my house at the moment. The herbal tea was for a guest.
Attachments
DSC02476.jpg
DSC02477.jpg
DSC02478.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:33 pm

We buy our tea from the UK via Amazon and it costs $ 0.01951 per teabag delivered. We buy it in 1100 bag packs.
Screen Shot 03-06-20 at 06.16 PM.JPG
Screen Shot 03-06-20 at 06.16 PM.JPG (64.23 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Normally we have a mug of tea at breakfast time and a mug of tea at 3 pm with a few biscuits.

I also have an Expresso coffee in the morning at 11 am.

Joe will, I am sure, agree that a Norgie of tea on the range on a winters day was the BEST drink known to a squaddie!!!
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Hot tea or coffee on a cold day seems right enough to normal people. There was a guy I knew who was the CO of a company in Vietnam. After a sweep through awful terrane on a really hot day, if there were a break, he would generally get out his empty C ration fruit can with the lid bent back, put down an empty cracker can with the beer opener burner made in one side, drop in a chunk of C4 into his "stove", apply match, and heat up a fruit can of canteen water and stir in powdered coffee to the heated water. He claimed that a hot drink on a hot day would actually cool the drinker off. He wasn't believed enough for me to follow suit, nor much of anybody else. However.... come to ponder on it.....maybe he had something after all.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 pm

A hot cup of tea on a warm day is more refreshing than anything I know :GBR: :GBR: :GBR: :GBR:
Duncan

PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

I have had Typhoo Tea and PG Tips and others but my current tea is Yorkshire Tea. I like it. Only 3 mugs today. One was replaced with a couple of glasses of wine after grocery shopping and I was out when I would otherwise have been having a mug of tea at home.
Regards
Peter.
https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/