Temperature

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Aughnanure

Temperature

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:43 am

Not the ambient but the coldness or otherwise of alcoholic beverages.

Yesternoon the wife and I were invited to lunch by one of her friends at a local venue that I'd never been to before and I ordered a pint of Guinness (these days 570 mils which is 1.2046246 Pint to be exact).

It arrived near frozen, instead of being around the recommended 50 t0 55 degrees Farenheight.

Management seemed a bit puzzled when I asked if they could stand it near the stove for a few minutes till it warmed up a bit, we compromised and they brought me a small dish of hot water to stand it in till it suited my taste.

Not going back there again even for another free meal, the service was dismally slow and the hot food was served on cold plates.

Australian pubs are renowned for serving beers so cold that one's palate is instantly frozen and all taste of the product disappears'.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Temperature

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:56 am

I like my Draught Guinness cold - I think it accentuates the taste. Best drunk with a crusty cob ham sandwich or two.
IMG_20200922_121759WEB.jpg
In Holland they drink their bottled beer almost frozen - I can manage a few of those at any time of day or night!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am

I'm not too particular about temperature of my beer. In Vietnam we drank them whatever the temperature they were when they came out of the case. However, now days I prefer refrigerator cold. My wife on the other hand finds refrigerator cold too warm. She puts a beer she wants to drink in the freezer for a specific amount of time, kept by a kitchen timer, and pulls it out nearly frozen.

While I'm thinking about it, there is a way to keep beer cold while you are sipping it. I have this mug that goes in the freezer and some liquid between the inside and outside wall freezes and keeps your beer icy cold. Usually don't use it though. I like the long necks with a beer sock on the outside to keep relatively at the same temperature.
Attachments
DSC02785.jpg
DSC02784.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:43 pm

I had those freezer mugs when I lived in AZ. When you pour a cold beer in one of those, it forms
slushy ice on top. So good on a 115° day....... :mrgreen:
Don't need the mugs where I live now, just keep the beer socks in the freezer and beer in fridge.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.