New Years traditional main meal?

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

New Years traditional main meal?

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:29 pm

In the US Turkey for Thanksgiving is traditional. Christmas is often turkey again ...or maybe a nice rib roast or other beef. New Years is what meal in you particular experience?

In the US you are supposed to eat black eyed peas as a side dish for luck. In the South there should be some greens and cornbread. What's the main meat?

We are going with ham this year. Ham goes with greens and black eyed peas and cornbread.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: New Years traditional main meal?

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:39 am

As there is only Elaine and myself - and Wellesley of course - and I hate Turkey and Chicken we don't have a special meal.
Also, being of Pagan persuasion I know that the early Christians stole the winter festivities from the ungodly for their own ends to make their religion more palatable.
That is why I wish everyone a Happy Yuletide and take absolutely no notice of all the holy child molesters and church liars who take all the money from the poor and give it to themselves for fine robes and big residences.

:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 am

And I thought Dickens made up Scrooge out of whole cloth when he wrote: “If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!”

You know, a lot of religions don't celebrate Christmas nor New Years nor Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims came to America for, among other things, they wouldn't have to celebrate Christmas or New Years. Served them right that they got pegged with Thanksgiving...which if any of them around in the 1860's when Thanksgiving really took hold, they weren't, they would have strongly denied having anything to do with it. My wife has some relatives that are Jehovah's Witnesses and they feel exactly like you and the Pilgrims when it comes to holidays. There are other such religious groups that feel the same way.

I liked holidays when I was a kid and like them now. Football is high on the reasons I like today. Roll Tide! War Eagle!
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm

We never had a traditional family New Year's meal, just what ever was handy and quiet,
back in those days, a hangover was the usual tradition...... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Annette is working till Sunday afternoon and I was alone for the New Year, had sausages and mashed potato.

Went to bed early and it was the New Year before I awoke for the usual drainage at about 0200 hours.

Missed, as usual, the Fireworks Pollution Fest.

All the best to you all for the New Year and may the only virus that reaches you be mild computer ones. :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.