The cost of frying a turkey

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

The cost of frying a turkey

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:10 pm

It's that time of year again. I have fried a turkey every year for a long time. I used to fry two so I could give one to my son and his family to take home with them. Now.... my son and his family lives 600 miles away so one turkey is good enough for the four people that the Thanksgiving feast is being provided for this year.

Now the cost of this production gets more and more lopsided every year. My costs.... the cheapest Peanut oil I could find, the ten dollar cheaper brand was all gone at my favorite place to shop for oil... was $39.95 for three gallons. Since I always need just a little more the extra jug was a proportionally larger cost of $14 for one gallon and some change. Then I needed some Tony Chachere injector Cajun sauce... another $3.50. I already have a half tank of propane so I didn't need to buy any more of that. Grand total for needed supplies to cook the Turkey was, with tax, $63.32. Today I bought a 13 pound frozen turkey that will slowly defrost in the refrigerator until Thursday. It only cost $11.10 plus another $1.11 tax.

Now I could cook the turkey in the oven and it would taste just fine....but..... this isn't a thing of economics but of tradition. Besides you can cook a 13 pound turkey a lot faster in boiling oil. About 50 minutes. I could use linseed oil or some other oil than peanut oil...but peanut oil isn't likely to catch on fire at a high temperature and I think it adds to the taste in a slightly positive way.