Traditional New Years meal

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Traditional New Years meal

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:23 pm

Without to much thinking about it as a planned meal, we had the traditional New Years good luck meal today. Black Eyed peas for general luck, and cabbage for folding money luck. Ham which is supposed to be the traditional lucky meat of the day, particularly in the South. And... potato salad is the choice side with two versions at my house....with and without olives.

What do our our UK members eat on New Years for luck?
Attachments
P1010199.jpg
P1010199.jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 734 times
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Traditional New Years meal

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:40 am

I put in a Google search and came up with this site but it looks American
https://www.countryliving.com/food-drin ... day-lunch/
I have to admit I never heard of 'Lucky' food. Here in France the main bash is on New Years Eve and there are organised evenings that can set you back more than 100€ ( $120 ) a head!

New Year Celebrations in France usually begin on New Year’s Eve. It is celebrated with a feast, called le Réveillon de Saint-Sylvestre. The feast consists of traditional dishes like pancakes, foie gras and champagne. According to French tradition, this special dinner brings prosperity and good luck to the lives of all those attending the feast.

The party can range from an intimate dinner with friends to a grand ball or une soirée dansante. At midnight, everyone kisses under the mistletoe and offers best wishes for the new year. Yes, kissing under the mistletoe is a New Year’s custom in France, rather than a Christmas custom as in other countries.

We just had our normal meal and some good, local wine. :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.