King Cake

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

King Cake

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:39 am

Mardi Gras is a thing that has happened in Mobile and New Orleans for 150 years or so. The parades and "revelry" has now grown to include a lot of cities of any size along the Gulf Coast. One of the seasonal favorites associated with Mardi Gras is King Cake. It's about the consistency of an apple turnover and baked into a circle. The filling could be any number of things including strawberry, blueberry, cream cheese, and pecans and cinnamon as well. It will have a small plastic baby in it somewhere and whomever gets the baby in a slice will get some sort of good luck defined by whomever shares the cake.

I read someplace that the King Cake is really an old idea that comes from Europe. I think Spain off the top of my head. In any case, they are here already although the first parade isn't until next month some time and seem to get more expensive every year. I saw one in the Rouses the other day with a $9 price sticker...which to my thinking is at least twice too much.
Attachments
king cake.jpg
king cake.jpg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 624 times
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: King Cake

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Two versions here in France.Usually come with a small pottery figure baked into them. The one who finds it wears the crown. :bigsmile:
Attachments
Galette-des-rois.jpg
Galette-des-rois.jpg (304.45 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.