MAS 36 for me

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

joseyclosey

MAS 36 for me

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am

I picked up a Mas 36 recently and today was spent fireforming and testing a few rounds which I had converted from some old Norma 6.5X55 brass, basicly nothing more than running it through the 7.5 sizing die and trimming to length.
The rifle performed well, shooting slightly right with a bit of vertical stringing which may have been down to me.
My load was a 150g Lee, gas checked .309 bullet, lubed with White Label 2500, my go to lube these days. Powder was 12g Unique which is also my go to charge for historic 30 cal rifles, it just works (for me), but develop your own loads please. ;)
Range was 100m, average velocity was 1,466 fps and muzzle energy 716 ft/lbs, well within our range energy levels.
On a lighter note my shooting buddy has challenged me to a MAS competition this coming weekend, (we'll be using alike cast loads) so that should be interesting. :mrgreen:

Joe :FRA:
Attachments
MAS 36 cast 100m 001.JPG
MAS 36 cast 100m 003.JPG
MAS 36 cast 100m 002.JPG
MAS 36 cast 100m 007.JPG
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: MAS 36 for me

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:40 am

Well done Joe, did you have a MAS minute :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:01 pm

You got them all in the black. I'd be happy with that result... particularly on first try with some roll your own ammo.

What do you think about the peep sight, relative to the Enfield Mark 4's and 5's?

Did you try shooting it with the bayonet out?
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Nice looking rifle, Joe.

DuncaninFrance wrote:Well done Joe, did you have a MAS minute :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheesh Duncan....that's as bad as asking if it is catholic.......... :roll: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:21 am

Niner Delta wrote: Nice looking rifle, Joe.

DuncaninFrance wrote:Well done Joe, did you have a MAS minute :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheesh Duncan....that's as bad as asking if it is catholic.......... :roll: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:18 am

No mas minutes Duncan, I only have 40 cases and by the time I sussed out my sight setting, (700m for the 100m range), point of aim, (7 0 clock on the outer black), then rounds kept back for the chrono testing, I was getting a bit short for frivolities. :mrgreen:
I really like the sight picture Robert and it compares well with the enfields, it suits me anyway. This is my first frenchie rifle and it's going to be a keeper. I'll be doing some more load development methinks and also keeping an eye out for more cases and maybe a sling.
Joe
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:10 am

Check this out Joe.
If you see anything that you want let me know and I will buy it for you and post it on.

https://www.naturabuy.fr/search_result. ... univers=no

For instance: https://www.naturabuy.fr/Sangle-regleme ... 972089.htm
Duncan

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for the link Duncan, I may take you up on that offer. At the moment I'm waiting to see if there's any extra goodies the seller may come across.
Joe
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Those are such strange looking rifles with the bolt handle like that. It sure is working well though.

It is fun getting a new rifle and then tracking down all the things to go with it. Us guys accessorize too. :lol:

-ArchFluffy
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:48 pm

I have one of those. The sights are a bit of a lottery for windage. Mine was quite a bit off for windage so I sent off to Numrich for a replacement rear sight (back when they would export to UK) in the hope of getting a better one and as it turned out I did get a better one. C & G Ammozone had an offer on Prvi 7.5x54 ammo a couple of years ago at £40 per hundred so I bought some as it was as cheap as Kranks were selling empty cases for.
Regards
Peter.