PE90 Finally

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

ArchFluffy

PE90 Finally

Post by ArchFluffy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 pm

The Swiss Army currently arms its soldiers with the 5.56 SIG 550 (the Swiss call it the STGW90 for Sturmgewehr 90). The civilian version of that rifle is the PE90. Swiss citizens can buy their PE90 through gun clubs and take part in shooting matches. The rifle is identical to the military version except that the trigger group was never given burst or full auto capabilities. It's semiautomatic only.
DSC02449.JPG
Looks alright.
DSC02450.JPG
Ooh, an M1990 bayonet
DSC02451.JPG
The bayonets were made by either Wenger or Victorinox. Mine is a Wenger.
DSC02452.JPG
Here it is in stabby configuration.
DSC02453.JPG
That bulge thing on the barrel is the attachment point for grenade launching. There is a shiny metal spring that rests in a groove there. The barrel is milled from one piece including the flash hider.
DSC02454.JPG
Bipod. Unstable shooters = bad. When it's deployed it moves around a lot with the legs able to move independently forward and back and they can swing side to side but their width of stance is fixed.
DSC02455.JPG
Two pins hold the upper and lower together. Magazines rock-in and are released by that latch.
DSC02456.JPG
Trigger guard flips out of the way for shooting with mittens in the winter. Drink some Swiss Miss.
DSC02458.JPG
The front sight is protected by that big ring. Here it is with the night sight down
DSC02459.JPG
And now with the night sight up.
DSC02460.JPG
The rear sight also accommodates night shooting because duh.
DSC02463.JPG
The stock can be folded. Controls are still accessible. The stock locks onto the front hand guard so it's not swinging free.
DSC02464.JPG
The sling attaches with these hooks. I think these were replaced with more secure looking one later.
DSC02465.JPG
Translucent 20 round magazines. They can be locked together.
DSC02467.JPG
It's a snap! Eh, what next.... I took a lot of pics...
DSC02469.JPG
That plunger behind the trigger is not the trigger. It's spring loaded and you can twist it in or out to adjust the trigger. I have it far enough back so I feel the spring right as I hit the trigger release. That way I have a two stage trigger. Feel the resistance and I know just a teeny tad more and it lets go.
DSC02470.JPG
So does the Swiss Army actually use Swiss Army knives? If anyone ever asks you that you can say, "Yes, but the current issue ones are black instead of the ubiquitous red." Just like the bayos, they were made by Victorinox and Wenger. Newer ones are all made by Victorinox ever since they bought out Wenger.
DSC02471.JPG
The knife has a chuck on on end that is fixed and does not fold. It interfaces with the diopter adjuster.
DSC02472.JPG
Click click right or left.
DSC02473.JPG
For elevation this fold-out tool is for that screw.
DSC02474.JPG
Twist the B for more T or H. I'll figure it out later.
DSC02475.JPG
That front blade with the hole is the gas regulator. This is normal operational setting.
DSC02476.JPG
And this is for fouled. Eww. It allows more gas through to work the action if it's needed.
DSC02468.JPG
There you have it! I think it even looks nice too. Me-ow.
DSC02461.JPG
Yay! :SWI:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: PE90 Finally

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 pm

Best post on this site related to a gun subject in years. Well done with lots of images and knowledge of the subject.

I almost want one. Being Swiss it has to be good and with well thought out engineering design and craftsmanship. Your post makes me want to shoot one. Tell us about the experience. And I know from the chats that you hadn't shot it yet at last report.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Outstanding Arch, :SWI: :SWI: :SWI: :SWI: :SWI:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:09 pm

I'll keep you informed.

Thank you! :D

-ArchFluffy
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:38 pm

That is too sweet Arch, sure looks like some range time is in your future.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm

The Swiss think of everything, there are some pretty cool features on that rifle. Being a fan of swiss knives too, I wonder where I could pick up one of those wee pocket knife/tools, I tried google but they don't show up in my searches.
:SWI:
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks for the love, guys!

joseyclosey, I found some knives just like the one I have on ebay. I searched "SIG 550" The ones I can see that have the parts deployed look like they match mine. I hope this helps! ;)

-ArchFluffy
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:39 am

Cheers Arch :D