K31/42

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

ArchFluffy

K31/42

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:07 pm

A new member of the family.

It looks just like a regular K31.
DSC02578.JPG
Getting a little closer we see something strange on the top.
DSC02579.JPG
Hey! It's a 1.8X scope (obviously) that has been mounted on the side of the receiver. That graduated slider moves an arm that adjusts the reticle for ranges out to 1000 meters.
DSC02581.JPG
It's can be difficult to see, but the scope is attached by dovetail. At least on my rifle it is not removable.
DSC02590.JPG
The scope is readily available, but I can't get a good cheek (side of the head) weld and still see through it. So I'm sort of floating to sight with it.
DSC02584.JPG
The stock, that otherwise seems to be a regular K31 stock, is recessed to give the objective lens a place to hide. Those square shaped screws are for adjusting the windage and elevation. However! this was apparently done by an armorer and I'm not messing with it. Learn lots about it before adjusting the zero on yours.
DSC02582.JPG
Now the cool part! It rotates out.
DSC02583.JPG
The objective lens is far enough out to get a clear view over the sling swivel.
DSC02588.JPG
The Swiss, probably unhappy with the weak power of the scope on the K31/42, came out with he K31/43 that has a 2.8X optic in the same configuration. Its scope is set up for a more reasonable 750 meters maximum despite the extra magnification.

While cool, it looks like the Swiss gave up on this concept. K31/42 and K31/43 total production came to 2241. I don't know the type breakdown though.

If you are looking for one of your own be mindful of the optic's clarity. They are often times cloudy. Otherwise it's a typical K31. Also, an aluminum muzzle cover is correct for war time produced rifles. And be sure to remove the cover before shooting since you can't see it through the scope like you can with the iron sights so no extra reminder.

-ArchFluffy
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: K31/42

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Very interesting, I've never seen one of those before.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:37 am

Thanks for sharing that Arch. I am sure I would have all kinds of problems seeing through that !! :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am

Great contribution as a new post. Really rare gun you have there. Like Niner Delta I'd never heard of one with a builtin scope before.