Winchester Super-X Model 1

Shotguns for clay, fur, feather and all other applications. New or old. Expensive masterpiece or plain and practical.

Moderator: blackisler

PeterN2

Winchester Super-X Model 1

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:26 am

Myself and a friend went out last week and shot a few clay targets. I took my Winchester Super-X Model 1 skeet gun. I have had this about nine years and it gets an occasional outing. This is the gun that cost Winchester a lot of money. It cost more to make than the public would pay, so they lost money on it. It was made from 1973 to 1981 and they made about 88,000 of them. It was all machined steel, even the cartridge lifter was engine turned machined steel, not stamped aluminium. It is a heavy gun, mine weighs 8 lbs 3oz with a 26 inch barrel. It is nice to shoot. I hit 40 out of 50 various sporting clays with it which is OK for me. I replaced the bolt buffer at the back of the receiver when I got it. The original ones turn brittle with age and crack into bits. I got it from a company called Wrights. That was when some US companies would ship gun parts to the UK. Now, none seem to ship anywhere but the US. The butt is from a field grade gun, the skeet and trap models got better wood than field models. The checkering ends in a V on the field grade and a W on the trap and skeet grades. Why mine has a field grade butt, I have no idea. A few pics.
Winchester SX1 full right.jpg
Winchester SX1 full right.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Winchester SX1 action right.jpg
Winchester SX1 action right.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Winchester SX1 action left.jpg
Winchester SX1 action left.jpg (193.04 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Winchester SX1 action bottom.jpg
Winchester SX1 action bottom.jpg (173.57 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Woinchester SX1 barrel markings.jpg
Woinchester SX1 barrel markings.jpg (220.79 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Winchester Super-X Model 1

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 am

Nice looking shotgun. I only shot skeet once in my life a long time ago. A friend took me to a range and he was friends with the young guy who had managed it. I was just back from the service and the manager, as a gesture of good will to my friend and my recent military service, let us shoot free and loaned us shotguns. That was the only time I remember having served in the military got me anything free.