1888 BSA & MC Mk.II Martini-Henry Rifle.

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Niner
Site Admin

Re: 1888 BSA & MC Mk.II Martini-Henry Rifle.

Post by Niner » Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Well done post, Douglas. I appreciate your taking the time and effort to make it. Obviouly you have some knowledge of the subject at hand and I appreciate your sharing it with those of us who read this string. I look forward to reading what you conclude about the SOG offering.

The SOG website description is, as of a few minutes ago:
These are original British Martinis that have been arsenal refinished by the British years ago. (Some might have a hairline crack, or small stock repair–Don’t expect mint rifles at this price. Barrel length may vary a little. These rifles are sold as antique, historic rifles, and are not to be shot with modern ammo. We have no testing facility, and because they were made for low-power black powder rounds, we can not assume any responsibility for their safety whatsoever. We consider them potentially dangerous to be shot.
Now if they aren't "original British Martinis" as they state, why doesn't someone call them on it? Would it be a BATF complaint if they are advertising something that is actually a new made import ..... and made......for all anybody knows....by the Taliban merchant support network? ;) At an advertised price of $359.95, they aren't exactly giving them away.....but cheaper than the Nepal cache offers from IMA and Atlanta Cutlery that are sold as being in working condition.....not that I have any intention of buying one of them from SOG. Maybe if they were down to a $100 I'd buy one as a curiosity.

The Martini and the 1853 Enfield I have from the Nepal offerings have no mark on any part that shows any British origin or proof mark on either rifle. The only marks look distinctly from Nepal. All of this is fine with me as that was not out of line with what I expected. I didn't buy them to shoot. I bought them because of where they came from and the curiosity value.
Attachments
IMGP1307.jpg
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Re: 1888 BSA & MC Mk.II Martini-Henry Rifle.

Post by DoubleD » Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 pm

My Gues is you have a Francotte and not a martini at all. The picure you posted sure looks Francotte. The Francotte is pretty poor and early into the Nepalese venture into cartridge guns. They have some problems with those guns, I don't think they had British help with that one.

I still think you need a visit to AC.

I did find the SOG material and will post it in a separate post. I though I posted it on BM a couple o years ago, but can't find it now.
Douglas