Developing color film

We do not live by milsurps alone. Photography and other hobbies as well as the mention of other collections would fit in this forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Developing color film

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

I haven't done that before. But...having some birthday money I thought I'd try it. First was the kit of chemicals....$40. Then some more plastic bottles and lastly came the problem. The problem is controlling a temperature that is prefered at about 110 degrees American. To control the temperature best requires a pot of water to put the chemical bottles in and something to keep the temperature constant. There is a photo company that has such a thing for $100 but I wasn't feeling that frisky enough to part with that much and ordered an immersion circulator that is used for cooking. I didn't know such a thing existed. Can't imagine cooking with closely moderated water temperature. However, it fits the bill and the one I ordered was $49.

If you only want to take snapshots a digital camera is hands down quicker, easier, and the images cost about nothing and you don't have to buy any chemicals or water heater. However..... if you want to relive photo history now past that you didn't experience before.....this new adventure is important.

Might take a week before the water heater arrives. I got the chemicals and even took some photos today on color film.
Attachments
kit.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Developing color film

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:06 am

Way back, when I had my darkroom and was processing B&W I was shown how to develop and print colour.
My friend who showed me took an exposed film and ran the whole process up to printing a landscape image. At the end of the process the image was heavily magenta cast.
It was then I decided to stick with B&W and I thanked him for saving me a lot of money!!

GOOD LUCK!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Many years ago I had a rush of blood to the head and had a go at making b&w prints. I bought a Zenit enlarger and the chemicals, trays, timer, safety light and thermometer. I didn't have anywhere to set up except in the bathroom where I lived at the time. I only used it a couple of times but I got some prints. I didn't develop the film but just made some prints from negatives I had. The enlarger is still in the loft. The timer is used in the kitchen and I don't know what I did with the rest of the stuff.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Peter, I've still got my enlarger out in the garage. Hate to think what condition it is in. Bet the light bulb is no longer working for sure. Now days I have been developing B&W and scanning the negatives into positives with an Epson Perfection V600 photo scanner.