Sony HX50 gone faulty

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

PeterN2

Sony HX50 gone faulty

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:29 pm

My Sony HX50 camera developed a fault. When I turned it on, the lens extended but the screen didn't work, the lens then retracted and a message came up on the screen to power off the camera and turn it on again. There was also a error code flashing. Well, turning off and on again didn't work. It just kept coming up with the same message. The error code was a fault with the lens. The photos on the card displayed OK, but that was it. So, I took it to the local camera shop to see if it could be fixed. They sent it away for an estimate of repair cost. 'The estimate was about 1/3 of the cost new. I pondered whether I should write it off or get it fixed. I decided to get it fixed as it would come with a years guarantee. I could have bought another second hand for a similar cost but I decided to keep this one. The repair ticket said 'dismantle camera to strip down the lens to replace lens flexible pcb assy reset reassemble and test' . Well, it is working again so I hope it doesn't go wrong again.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Sony HX50 gone faulty

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:04 pm

I haven used my HX50 for a while. I like my Sony HX80 better... the view finder, the flip up back screen, the smaller size while having the same zoom, I find meets my needs. Most reviews give the HX50 slightly better reviews for slightly more megapixels and raw ability. The only problem is that the HX80 is no longer a current line. The nearest thing is the HX99. While they lasted the HX80 could be had for around $300 and a bargain.

I had a Sony RX100 I paid what I thought was a premium for the larger image card but it didn't have the features of the HX80. I managed to drop it on a cement surface and the error message came on and the lens was locked. Now it's just a paper weight.
Giovanni20

Post by Giovanni20 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:16 am

I have a Nikon D3500 and there's no much difference with the results.But it's best for beginners
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:08 am

Giovanni20 welcome to the conversation. I'd like to learn a little of your Nikon experience with the D3500. I'd like to read your review if you were to post one.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:53 pm

Sony RX100 revived from the dead today. I had dropped it on the sidewalk and it wouldn't work afterward many months ago. Surprise...surprise. Now it does.

I was looking at a Sony that someone offered for parts that was one of my favorite models. Lens wouldn't move but screen would light up he says. Got to thinking about my RX100 that I dropped and would only show the turn the camera on and off message. I went online and found someone who said if you can get to the reset screen it may work again. So... after turning on and off the camera a lots of time I started to change the settings wheel from various auto/movie/panorama/ etc, nothing much was happening that was hopeful. The menu screen would only access for a couple of seconds before the on and off message shows in a nearly full screen box. But.... since I could always recharge the battery, that also works in a couple other Sony cameras, I persisted. Then... I turned the wheel to aperture priority manual focus. And..then... miracle of miracles... the menu screen stayed on. I got to the reset and hit the button with wishful thinking but not much hope. However........ After a little bit of noise.... the lens opened, the screen showed what was in front of the lens, it was working again! I could take photos again with it. Could't believe my luck.
Attachments
DSC00547.jpg
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:49 am

Well, my Sony HX50 is still working fine.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:51 am

I like the small Sony digital Cyber-shot pocket cameras. Great for trips. I've have acquired an assortment of them over the years. My favorites are the HX80 and the HX99 because they also have pop up view finder and 30X telephoto ability and the 18.2 megapixels are all I need for the way I view the images I take.
Attachments
DSC08397.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:34 pm

I have s couple of the Sony Cyber-shot small digital cameras. Older than yours as they are 14.1 megapixels.
A DSC-W330 and a DSC-W560, the only difference between them seems the W560 has a panorama setting. Both only
have a 4X optical zoom with SteadyShot, guessing that helps with my shakey old hands. Just cheap digital pocket
cameras that we used before our cell phones had similar cameras and were always with us.
The W560 came out in 2011 and the W330 in 2010.

IMG_0974.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:25 pm

Now days cell phones have gotten pretty good in image quality. Probably in another ten years there won't be any digital cameras other than the very high end sort. Is that good? I honestly don't know. I do know l when I am using a camera I FEEL different when taking a photo and expect more. With film it's a different world altogether...not better so much as different.