FujiFilm X-E3

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: FujiFilm X-E3

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Arrived today, couldn't resist it at the price.

Fujinon Super EBC XC 50-230 mm 1:4.5 - 6.7 OIS II zoom lens. Auto focus and image stabilized.
Attachments
20180926_204921aweb.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 pm

These film cameras are cheap now because everyone went to digital cameras.
Are the prices of digital cameras dropping because now everyone uses their phone??....... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 pm

The thing about digital...like the film cameras before them... is that manufacturers make a new model every time you turn around that is supposed to be better than the one before. That makes the one before less expensive. The RX100 I bought not long ago new for $397 is now $368 new....and it was new as a model several years ago. If you buy one used it is more like $270. There are now seven models of the RX100 and six of them are considered current and still being sold new. And.. newer isn't always better. I bought a later model of a Pentax W20 Optio waterproof camera I've had for years that had more "features" but took less quality photos and had some other less desired conditions. I sold it.

There are a great multitude of lessor grades of digital cameras from the last ten or twelve years that may have cost $100 or $150 new that go for ten percent of those prices used on the internet. I've picked up several of them just for the hell of it at such prices from the major brands including Sony and Lumix. They can be ok for snapshots but there is more of a difference in quality in the digital world than there was in the film world. They weren't near the standard of the more expensive cameras....like the Sony RX100 I mentioned.

The biggest thing about what a camera will do is in the programming it seems to me. New isn't always better. More program additions with new models may actually subtract from the quality of the main functions you really want. Some of the new ones have so many things added that just figuring out how to get to the new and improved features is a pain in the butt....although the bells and whistles add to the cost. I got one like that not long ago that if half the crap that was offered as a feature had been left off it would have been a better designed and functioning camera.

When I take a photo of something I want the process to be ergonomic, and although with options, I want the options to be easy to dial in without having to open a book and find a lot of don't do this if you do that information.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 am

Niner Delta wrote:These film cameras are cheap now because everyone went to digital cameras.
Are the prices of digital cameras dropping because now everyone uses their phone??....... :shock:

I only use my phone for 'grab shots' or in this case, because the camera ids the subject.
In general there are lots of inexpensive digital cameras around and they mostly perform OK BUT for 'serious' photography you need to invest not just buy IMO.

My Canon kit was very good at what it did and I used Canon for years and years but since I changed to this X-E3 I see the difference between my Canon and serious equipment. Yes, I could get the same results from a Canon body and selected lenses if I paid for it but this is what I need now. Smaller & easier/less bulky to handle.
Like many things that you have used for years you become familier with the basics and so changing from Canon to Fuji systems means a whole new learning curve but I think it will be worth the effort.
Attachments
MON1.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 am

And what I didn't say relative to the i phone.

I think the i phone cameras will just about totally replace the digital cameras that don't offer better quality images and options for images....what have been the lower end of the consumer market camera. Cameras that compete with size of sensor and for retaining image quality over a long zoom range will still have a place in the consumer market I feel. Also having a camera with a built in optical finder or tilting screen is a plus over the i phone. Then there is the 4k mode and raw mode that the phones, in so far as I know, aren't likely to have and which cameras are offering more and more. And I'm forgetting lens quality that plays a part as well...if you want to print images larger than snap shot size.