Olympus IS-3

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Olympus IS-3

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:16 pm

This was an Olympus bridge camera from 1992. It was the camera with the most features of the series, although it came third in line and there were several that came after it. It will do plenty of programmed things and has a lot of buttons and switches to do them all. I picked this one up for $20 including shipping. And then... because it was the only such camera I know of with a screw on 1.7 lens doubler I blew another $20 for the add on attachment lens. The lens just screws in like a lens filter. I might add the IS-3 was the only one of the series that had two attachment lenses made for it. There is another that will turn the 35mm wide end natural zoom to 28mm. These lenses won't fit any of the other cameras in the series as far as I can tell.

The attachment I got enlarges the magnification by 1.7 times the max built n zoom which results in turning 180mm to 306mm. So I took it for a run today.

The down side of the add on attachment would include it makes already an over large camera into a camera larger than most people would want to carry around as a regular thing. Another point is if you reduce the camera zoom with the attachment on under 100 meters on the normal camera scale it starts to make a keyhole around the center of the image and that affect increases as you go to 35mm on the normal scale. However, on the plus side, the images at max range seem to be without distortion with the attachment in place.

I made an offer on a wide angle attachment lens and the guy took my offer. I'll have to try this camera again when it arrives.
Attachments
DSC02241.jpg
DSC02243.jpg
DSC02244.jpg
DSC02245.jpg
img636.jpg
img632.jpg
img637.jpg
img639.jpg
img640.jpg
img638.jpg