Sony HX80 and Lumix ZS100

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Sony HX80 and Lumix ZS100

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Just got the Lumix ZS100 the other day to replace a Sony RX100 that bit the dust.

The Sony HX80 I've used on various trips and adventures in the last year and it is my favorite for a number of reasons. The chief reasons include ....in no particular order ...very small pocket camera, pop up viewfinder, 30x zoom, great auto focus, good color reproduction,and it only cost $318. The largest downside to me is that the low light photography drops off fast in detail.

I went into the research Coronavirus mode with a lot of time on my hands and came to the conclusion that the Lumis ZS100 was the greatest thing going right now in compact complete with lens cameras comparing anything even marginally close to it's cost of $429 with accessories including a 16gb Sandisk. This camera has a one inch sensor instead of the Sony's sensor of half that size. It has a wide aperture of 2.8 compared to 3.5. It does RAW, 4K, touch screen clean up focus after a burst of shots. It has a view window for sunny days like the Sony but the back view screen doesn't flip up like the Sony and it's larger, and the zoom is only 25-250.

When traveling....which I won't be doing any time soon thanks to the pandemic... it's no problem to carry two travel cameras. I've got more than one pocket in all my clothes.

Today I tried to see how much difference the larger Lumix sensor would make on singular subject compared to the Sony.
Attachments
two.jpg
back.jpg
top.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Sony HX80 and Lumix ZS100

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:17 pm

For "normal" viewing, the smaller, standard sensor card, works just fine on the Sony and produced images as large as 4896 pixels wide. The Lumix does larger images. What I'm using here is an image in a pixel width of 5472 wide as downloaded out of the camera. I've decreased size on the larger view images to fit on this site. The crop of the out of the camera images are what the crops are naturally.

The first two are from the Sony. The second from the Lumix. The Lumix, with the one inch sensor gives better detail in the crop and would probably create a better large print.

If you left click on the more closeup images you can see the detail in the pixels better.
Attachments
sony full 4896.jpg
Sony2.jpg
Lumix full.jpg
Lumix small 5472.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:23 am

Since I directed a friend to this string. Here are some more of the Sony HX80. Great zoom ability. I like the viewfinder on a sunny day.
Attachments
DSC00231.jpg
DSC00220.jpg
DSC00219.jpg
DSC00212.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:33 am

The Lumix zx100 has a larger sensor. The zoom isn't as large and the back panel doesn't flip up for selfies and such. But it does have a viewfinder and the 4k is a bonus. It gets better detail in lower light without flash.
Attachments
six.jpg
seven.jpg
one.jpg
two.jpg
three.jpg
four.jpg