Nikon 8008S

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Nikon 8008S

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:32 pm

I've had this camera a while. I took some photos with it when I first got it but can't see any post here on the site. Must have been a case of not being able to upload photos.

Well... it was a sunny day and I wanted to play at photography. I picked a camera and the Nikon 8008S was the choice without any heavy thought about it. It just was on top of the pile on the shelf and came to hand first. It was a high end consumer level camera in it's day..... 1991. Back then it listed for about $850 without the lens. It was pretty sophisticated back 29 years ago with it's autofocus and multiple programs. It was really user friendly back then, or now, as a trip camera because it uses AA batteries that you can get anywhere.

Mine still works pretty good. I say "pretty good" because it has some odd features by later day standards and one of my images came out blank for some reason as well for I don't know what reason. The oddest feature is the rewind. Unlike the other big name camera producers that made cameras which automatically rewound the film at the end of the roll this one has a button for rewind. Only you don't just push the rewind but also, at the same time, you push a ME button on the selector wheel. It also is one of those with what in the day was considered a professionally retained feature of add on flash only. No pop up or built in fill flash. However , it has about as many versions of program added features and manual features that any tyro could want. Another oddity is that the self timer, although offering easy adjust length of time before exposure, requires you to press the self timer button and the shutter buttons at the same time to start the timer.

I'm really not a Nikon fan....yeah and I know they are the ones the professionals used to gravitate to... but I like any of the other big dog, in their day, camera brands better. Other cameras seem more the same as far as ergonomics are concerned. With a Nikon you have to read the manual. However, this one cost me just short of $17, and that included the shipping,without the lens. And.... for a camera made for families high on expectation and low on photography knowledge willing to pay what was maybe a lot of money in the day...... this camera did fill it's promise about as well as it could for the time.
Attachments
front.jpg
P1000383.jpg
img816.jpg
img500.jpg
img851.jpg
img853.jpg