Light leaks

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

PeterN2

Light leaks

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am

Niner, I was wondering if any of your old film cameras have light leaks because the old seals have deteriorated. I have just run a film through a Minolta X500 and some of the photos, not all, have a strip of light leak down one side. I checked the camera and found the foam sealant near the take up spool is crumbling and needs replacing. The local camera shop wants about £50 to replace the seals and mirror bumper. That is more than the camera cost. Have you replaced light seals yourself in any of your cameras?
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Light leaks

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 pm

I've done it before a couple of times. I used some felt like you can get in squares of 12 inches from a hobby or fabric shop. In US money it should cost no more than a dollar. Scissors or x-acto knife is all you need. There are several videos you can find online. Here is one.

https://www.36flix.com/a-guide-on-chang ... ght-seals/