That Jupiter and Saturn kinda like the Christmas star of Bethlehem thing

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

That Jupiter and Saturn kinda like the Christmas star of Bethlehem thing

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26 pm

So Jupiter and Saturn were 1/10 of a degree apart and Jupiter 550 Million miles from earth tonight and visible for 45 minutes or so as they sank into the South Western sky. This is the nearest they have been since 1623. The heavenly event started right at sunset. And... my best view was through a tall pine tree. I had my camera stand out there with the pan head I got a year or so ago attached. I got my long distance digital camera out. But the view was through the branches of a tree and the pan head multiple controls, along with the regular tripod controls, was awkward at best and something that should have been tight generally wasn't. I had to have the ball head moving but there was always something that was not tight enough that needed to be for a sharp image as the objects seemed to move at race horse speed. Besides that, doing a super zoom and focusing was a problem just finding the target. Well.... at least I gave it a try. Got several good clear images of a crescent moon...although a crescent moon isn't a see it again in 400 years or so thing. The targets were fast moving and sunk and drifted out of sight in less than an hour. Maybe I'll have better luck with Santa.
Attachments
stand.jpg
moon.jpg
tree.jpg
two.jpg