Roger Fenton

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Roger Fenton

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am

Just received my New Years present to myself, prompted by Britishmuzzeloaders series on the Crimean War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUm8K7_ ... zleloaders

As an avid photographer myself I have always been interested in early photography and also the Crimean War so this book makes great sense for me.

Not only does it contain a great amount of detail in it's 256 pages but it is beautifully produced.
Attachments
SOW #1.jpg
SOW #2.jpg
SOW #3.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Roger Fenton

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:18 pm

That reminds me of the Civil War photos compiled in 10 volumes in 1911 and edited by Francis Trevelyan Miller. I first started to put together a set probably forty or more years ago and entitled under the banner of "The Photographic History of the Civil War". I'd find a volume here and there in various bargain bins and flea markets back years ago. Only had a few of them when back about fifteen years or so I saw a set of a later publication that were bound in about half the number of volumes but missing one of them. The one I was missing was mostly made up for by the individual volumes I had that was in it but there is still a missing book or two from the early individual books published.

The images in these books are by a wide range of photographers. Matthew Brady was the prime force on the Union side and he had a number of professional photographers working for him in different theatres of the war. Unknown photographers also contributed when all the photos from many different sources were assembled.
Attachments
book.jpg
img106.jpg
FT.jpg
replace.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:30 pm

A photographer in the field from the 1860's.
Attachments
field.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm

I like those large books with lots of photos, even though I am not a photographer, I really
enjoy the photos. Don't really have any on the Civil War, my collections are steam railroading
and aviation of all types.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.