Yashica A

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Yashica A

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Got some new C41 chemicals. Took the Yashica A medium format out to the park yesterday. Nice old school camera.... actually belonged to a school system in Ohio once according to an engraving on the camera. And although this camera has an excellent 3.5, 80mm lens it has it's limitations. To start with, when outside, the twin lens that causes you to look down from above into the view finder is difficult to use because of light and because of the distance your eye is to the viewing screen. Second problem is that you have to do everything mechanically, including cock the shutter separate from advancing the film. The cock the shutter part is one thing a guy nearing senility can remember to do, just once in a while though he forgets to advance the film. I did that once yesterday. I'll include the example.
Attachments
DSC02974.jpg
img307.jpg
img309.jpg
img310.jpg
Img311a.jpg
img312.jpg
PeterN2

Re: Yashica A

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:45 am

Did you use an exposure meter or just guesstimate the exposure? The photos look good. I am currently putting an Ektachrome slide film through my Minolta X500. The first slide film for about sixteen years since the last one in my Pentax Spotmatic. I am also putting a colour print film through a Minolta 505Si Super auto focus SLR.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Yashica A

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:55 pm

No light meter in the camera and the hand held one I own, Sekonic L-208 bought new, I've never really trusted so I had left it at home. It was a sunny day so I guessed. Most at an aperture of around 11 and a shutter speed just about every time at 1/100. I knew that the film, Kodak Ektar 100 was pretty forgiving on exposure. The focus distance was mostly just turned to infinity because of the difficulty getting a fine focus outside on a sunny day. I knew with a small aperture I'd get good depth of field so I could expect to get an "in focus" shot even at relatively close distances.