Do photographs you preserve have meaning in the distant future??

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Do photographs you preserve have meaning in the distant future??

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Duncan and I were discussing briefly on the last Sunday's chat the potential for preserving photographs. It was pretty obvious to us that unless we were "professional" art photographers nobody much is going to care about our "art" ten seconds after either of us are gone. But... photographs of our generally mundane lives are probably the most interesting unadulterated information anyone will ever leave behind as evidence of having existed. With archival potential for images now actually possible for an almost limitless future by means that didn't exist only a decade or so ago this gives us pause. It is possible someone in our family lines, many generations in the future, could, in researching family history, find some photos that we bothered to keep and preserve to exist after us. And those photos could open up a satisfying curiosity about people that may have been us many generations before them. Maybe they will reflect upon recognized glimpses of humanity that they themselves also have inside themselves.

I've got several batches of "snapshots" of the personal history kind for each year going back a long time. They aren't "art", they are history. Anyone have one or two or three shots from last year that you could see someone in your family tree many generations in the future being interested enough to look at for a moment and wonder about?
Attachments
one.jpg