Old 19thC Military photographs.

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Old 19thC Military photographs.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 03, 2022 4:39 pm

On one of my other forums - British Militaria Forums, there are a lot of posts showing old photographs from the 19th C and I thought it might be interesting to show some here.
There are obviously a wealth of posed images from both sides of the pond so it could become very interesting.

So, here is my starter..........
#1web.jpg
#1web.jpg (470.79 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Written on the back is;

"Tableau Vivant
Shown at a performance given by 3rd Btn The Rifle Brigade at Rawal Pindi 1899"

My comments on this image:-
WELLLLLLLLLLLLL, I reckon the bint could get a part in MacBeth!
Yes dusty boots - on a charge in the morning.
Reverse of the photo says 3rd Btn Rifle Brigade but the drum says "The Queen's Royal West ....." which is probably "The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey)"
Certainly Martini-Henry's held by the native troops. The rifleman appears to have a MkII* Magazine Lee Metford but with a sling attached to the stacking swivel?
The bayonet on the second rifle from the left appears to be an 1888 First Mode, First Type Lee Metford Bayonet.
The Johnny next to Britannia seems to have a M-H artillery carbine as his bandolier looks to contain rather large ammo.....
I think the sailor in the front is an army type dressed up for the pic...........he certainly has never been to sea dressed like that!!
:GBR: :GBR: :GBR:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Old 19thC Military photographs.

Post by Niner » Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 pm

Apparently the fellow on the extreme left can play a bugle and a drum at the same time. I'd like to see that on Britain's got Talent. Of course he could alternate between instruments with a drumstick holder for the not shown drum sticks and a neck strap on the bugle.... but this would make the tune hard to march to I'd think. :roll:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed May 04, 2022 10:12 am

A Civil War US drum corps. Young boys in their early teens mostly. Although posed the subjects are from reality of their actual life and occupation and is meant to be a photograph depicting life at the front for an audience a long way away from the scene.

What Duncan is showing is from an age of Tableau entertainment back a hundred and fifty and more years ago. People used to stage a presentation of historical or mythical heraldic figures on a stage with live people dressed in appropriate costume. It was meant to entertain an equally live audience that was present. It was like going to a wax museum of famous people for those watching. Nobody would move or say anything apparently as they stood frozen in the spotlight and then after the audience groaned in aw the curtain would be closed and another tableau would be assembled and the show would go on.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (672.23 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed May 04, 2022 4:07 pm

10th (Prince of Wales's Own) Hussars
Plenty of information here http://www.hussards-photos.com/UK/UK_10 ... alabad.htm
Attachments
UK_10_ALB_Jellalabad.jpg
UK_10_ALB_Jellalabad.jpg (410.29 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed May 04, 2022 7:38 pm

I noticed in the Civil War photo that 3 of the drums are looking nice and new. Guessing that didn't bode well
for the 3 previous drummers in the last battle....... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed May 04, 2022 11:23 pm

Maybe new drum heads. Maybe....some staff officer realized that photos were being taken and got as many as he could dig up issued for the photos. It wouldn't be the first time soldier appearances were shined up a bit.

I remember a time in Vietnam a platoon was extracted by huey from an ambush. The helicopters were about out of air time so instead of bringing the platoon back to a firebase called Gettysburg out in the middle of the Plain of Reeds they dropped them off in Tan An the main Brigade HQ. Well... they were dirty and muddy and such and there was some political person newly arrived on a fact finding junket. It wouldn't do to see dirty scruffy troops. So... some Brigade officer had the men hidden as best he could and ended up issuing them all new uniforms. When the men got back to Gettysburg the next day by Huey's they were quite conspicuous in their new fresh uniforms.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 05, 2022 4:23 pm

Showing Off!
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (281.13 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Duncan