Sony Cybershot DSC-HX99

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX99

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:54 pm

My favorite trip camera for the last few years has been my digital Sony Cybershot DSC-HX80. It's very compact and fits in a shirt or pants pocket. It takes great photos and has all the special features I have any use for. It has a 24-720 zoom produced by Zeiss that is about as good as a compact camera gets I'd think. I got it's next generation model recently. Both have a pop up view window that shows you what you are attempting to photograph same as a zoom on a SLR camera. This comes in handy on bright days where the back screen can't be seen clearly. Also the back screen tilts up if you are into selfies or taking a photo of something above your head or at an angle that would put a crick in your neck.

Recently I was looking to get a backup and found that the HX80 is out of production but the HX99 has taken it's place. They look identical and both have the same 18.2 mp and the same zoom. The HX99 also adds a few things, like RAW. One thing I don't like on the HX99 is that the card is one of the mico variety that's a pain to handle in various manipulations. Another good thing is that there is a focus ring for manual focus when the auto focus isn't finding what you want to photograph....usually something small and real close to the camera.

Check out the zoom example taken with the HX99 of the colorful wind mobile at the end of the lake. All three shots taken from the same spot on a footbridge.

Here's a side by side comparison. https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony ... t-DSC-HX80
Attachments
1200.jpg
1200.jpg (374.22 KiB) Viewed 487 times
two.jpg
two.jpg (176.3 KiB) Viewed 487 times
twoa.jpg
twoa.jpg (169.96 KiB) Viewed 487 times
DSC00018.jpg
DSC00018.jpg (270.8 KiB) Viewed 487 times
DSC00017.jpg
DSC00017.jpg (420.19 KiB) Viewed 487 times
DSC00016.jpg