35mm slide mounts

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

PeterN2

35mm slide mounts

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:27 am

The processor that I used for my 35mm slides has stopped offering slides in the mounts, only processed and in sleeves like negatives. The reason is that the last maker, Gepe, of slide mounts that the labs use in machines has stopped making them. Gepe has said the tooling for making them is worn out after 30 years and the volumes they sell now does not justify retooling. So, it would seem that if you want mounted slides, it is a case of mounting them by hand yourself, if you can find some mounts. I think there are other makers but not sure of availability. Old stock can be found on Ebay. I have one slide film in the fridge ready to go, just waiting for better weather.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 35mm slide mounts

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:35 am

Amazing that you still have slide film and use it. Finding a processor who will even develop slide film must have been lucky. You could scan the film on a scanner and view it on your computer or link them to a TV instead of using a slide projector. I've scanned some of my old slides and turned them into jpgs. The down side is that the slides gather dust not noticed until you scan them. Give them a good going over for dust and anything else that may have gotten on them over the years if you have old slides.

You could try ebay. One guy in Isreal had an offering of plastic mounts. The bidding was under $5 for a box of 100.
Attachments
scanner.jpg
scanner.jpg (136.08 KiB) Viewed 605 times
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:37 pm

There are a quite a few film processors in the UK that will process E-6 slide film. I have had a look and some are still offering a process and mount service, but how up to date their web sites are, I don't know. I will investigate further when I get my film used up. We still have a proper camera shop in my town. They sell all the basic and high end digital cameras along with lenses, binoculars and spotting scopes. They also sell film and can do processing, but send them away to a lab for processing and it is not cheap. They do a print service from digital cameras.
I have scanned some of my old slides. I still meet up with a some friends every few weeks and we show slides, mostly of old railways and locomotives, with a projector and screen, just like the old days.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:00 pm

I've still got my slide projector. Last time I plugged it in, last year sometime, I noticed all the dust that had accumulated on the slides in the carousel when projected. That's when I started cleaning them up and scanning them.

When it comes to projecting images things are different now. I made up a dvd of jpg images from an album of lots of Vietnam photos for a reunion I put on in 2015. Hundreds of photos. I put them in a dvd player like you would use to play movies and put the thing on slide show repeat to play over the television. One image would show for a few seconds and then it would switch to the next and it went on a loop and never stopped until made to stop. At a memorial service the projectionist at the theater ran one of my DVD compilations through their system projected in frames on both sides of the stage as proceedings went on.
Attachments
DSC04568.jpg
DSC04568.jpg (207.52 KiB) Viewed 594 times
DSC04536.jpg
DSC04536.jpg (175.23 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:50 pm

"I have scanned some of my old slides. I still meet up with a some friends every few weeks and we show slides, mostly of old railways and locomotives, with a projector and screen, just like the old days."

Peter,
I have a few steam locomotive slides but most are photos. I have collected quite a few of steam locos, mostly logging railroad as that
is what my grandfather was the engineer on. He is in the window of the the cab, taken prior to 1946. It is a Baldwin 2-6-6-2 articulated
compound Mallet built in 1927 and coming in at 275,000 lbs.

Dibb - Copy.jpg
Dibb - Copy.jpg (342.51 KiB) Viewed 578 times
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.