FN98

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Rindfleis

FN98

Post by Rindfleis » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Interested potentially in this Mauser: https://gunhub.com.au/listing/fn-98-mauser/

Was this a particularly common variant? I've never come across a Mauser in 30-06 - unsure if its just not common in this part of the world or whether they were just low production.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: FN98

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:17 am

Sounds like one of the rifles that originates from France after WWII.
Because the French government were afraid that people could use bolt action rifles and the mass of military ammo that was floating about they banned the ownership of military bolt action rifles. To get round this the French trade re-calibrated many rifles in hunting calibres - perfectly legal!
I have an Enfield No.4 MkI which is in .303 Sporting - the case being 4 mm shorter that the .303 British round.
303-&-303-Sporting-web.jpg
No 4 Mk1 Original web.jpg
It's a good shooter but the last 2 rounds don't feed too well because the OAL prevents them from filling the mag properly.

You can find Schmidt-Rubins in .30-284 Win instead of 7.5 x 55 Swiss, Mosin Nagants & MAS 36 also in 30-284 Win
Carcano in 8.57JS.
:bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 am

Rindfleis, welcome to the forums. It's good to see some new blood after the site repair and revival. I'd say what you are seeing is a re-calibered configuration of an original rifle. I think you are seeing a variation of the Yugo VZ24. I'll attach an image of my VZ in original 8mm. A German K98k would have a take down disk in the butt and the top wood would be different.

Here is a link that can tell you more. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_24_and_Model_30
Attachments
DSC02077.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Rindfleis,

Just in case the time zone allows, every Sunday a few of us ( 4 from the US, 1 from Scotland and me in France ) have a Skype on line video chat. It starts about 20:30 hrs European time and can last for over 2 hours if we get going!

If you are interested look for me on Skype. Duncan Andrews Studying the local wines..... I live near Blaye, SW France.
:ENG: :SCO: :USA: :USA: :USA: :USA:

:AUS:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:29 am

Duncan,

We had the same problem with military calibres being banned, I have two Lee Enfield (No!) that were rechambered for the 7.7 x 52mm, which is a shortened .303 Brit.

Had a mate who rechambered his P14 for his own version, which was a normal .303 that had the shoulder moved back 2mm but kept the original case length.
He made a die up that he simply dropped a loaded military round into, pulled the loooong lever and reformed the loaded round; the setup was out in the back yard!!

Never had a mishap and the rifle performed OK but was legal within the law.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.